Re: How to set a date field to today in program smart list?

Kerry_Risley
Level 1

How to set a date field to today in program smart list?

We have a date field that must be set as today's date in order for the Smart List to yield the correct results. We are using this for a set of recurring, reminder emails for users to renew their membership. Is there a way to set the date field to dynamically change each day to display the current date?

9 REPLIES 9
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Kerry Risley​,

Have you tried using this token {{system.date}}.

You can find for information here: System Tokens Glossary - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Thanks,

Gerard

Kerry_Risley
Level 1

Hi Gerard,

That is what I thought I could do, but it looks like I cannot put a token in for the date field. It requires a MM/DD/YYYY format.

pastedImage_0.png

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Kerry

What about {{system.dateTime}}?

Additionally, can you provide an example of the value the variable stores?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Kerry - you cannot use tokens in filters/triggers in smart lists.  Tokens are only supported in (most) flow steps.

Hi,

the {{system.date}} token returns the current date value. Maybe it can help.

Best;m

Valerie_Whitin2
Level 5

Hi Kerry Risley​,

I don't think you can use tokens in smart lists, unfortunately 😕 But you should be able to set the filter to "in time frame" "Today". Hopefully that helps!

Thanks,

Valerie

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Kerry Risley​,

As Valerie Whiting​ mentioned above adding the date constraint to your smart list filter should work.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 17.08.51.png

Kyle_McCormick
Level 5

Hi Kerry Risley,

As others have mentioned before, I would use {{system.dateTime}} to set the date in the flow. This will set the time stamp to have the exact date and time it was filled in.  

pastedImage_1.png

Then in the smart list, you have two options.  The easy way is to use the "in future: 24 hours" filter.  While this wont catch everyone that has a time stamp today, it will catch everyone within in next 24 hours.  So if you are automating an email that sends everyday at 9 am, this will have everyone who's time stamp is between 9 am today and 8:59 am tomorrow.

pastedImage_4.png

The other more complex way if you absolutely need to only email people that have today's date is to use both the "in future" and "in past" filters.  Keeping with the example above, if the email sends at 9 am daily, you can use "in future 15 hours" and "in past 9 hours" with advanced filter logic of (1 OR 2).  This gets tricky with time zones and has more room for error, but if its something you need, it can be done. Just remember to calculate the number of hours between 12 am and the email send time (in past) and the number of hours between email send time and 11:59 pm (in future).

pastedImage_8.png

Hope this helps!