Re: How to make all the options under "checkboxes" field mandatory

Sarin_Nair1
Level 2

How to make all the options under "checkboxes" field mandatory

I need to to have multiple checkboxes in a form and all checkboxes should be mandatory so I used a field with field type 'checkboxes"  and made it mandatory however the the issue is even if I click check one checkbox it allows the form to be submitted.

Any suggestions?

Note: I dont want to use a different fields for each check box.

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I don't understand the user experience you're going for.  The definition of "mandatory" is that the underlying field must end up with a non-empty value.  If every one of your checkboxes is mandatory, that means the mandatory value of the field is, for example "1;2;3;4".  Why would you give people a one-or-more widget (that's what the checkbox set means) when you actually mean "all"?

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

In other words, the checkbox/boolean must always be set to TRUE in your Form, but in reality, no choice needs to be made since a checkbox can be T/F.

Try a radio button or reconsider how you ask the questions.

SanfordWhiteman

Yeah, it seems like the more appropriate widget is a checkbox, as opposed to checkboxes.  Really, even if you make all the checkboxes mandatory (which is easy using a little JS) it's still kind of strange to the user... you're making them spend extra clicks for no payoff.

Sarin_Nair1
Level 2

Thanks Sanford .

This for is for internal purpose and basically it is a training checklist with a set of points and we would like to make sure that the staff don't miss any point (checkboxes) so we want them to tick all the checkboxes. If i use 'checkbox'  field type instead of checkboxes, we have to make that many fields and it is not feasible as there are like 20 checklist points?

SanfordWhiteman

OK, in the context of an internal form (not lead-facing) it makes more sense.

Easy to do with a little Forms 2.0 API JS: MktoForms2 :: Checkbox Set All Required

Sarin_Nair1
Level 2

Thanks Josh!

This for is for internal purpose and basically it is a training checklist with a set of points and we would like to make sure that the staff don't miss any point (checkboxes) so we want them to tick all the checkboxes. If i use 'checkbox'  field type instead of checkboxes, we have to make that many fields and it is not feasible as there are like 20 checklist points?

Sarin_Nair1
Level 2

Hi Sanford,

Sarin_Nair1
Level 2

Thanks Sanford .