Re: How to know the Country of the viewers of my Landing Page?

Coonic_Agency
Level 2

How to know the Country of the viewers of my Landing Page?

Hey everyone!

I am writting you with a doubt. It is possible to know the country of the visitors of my Landing Pages?

Do I have to put a tracking code or how it works in Marketo?

Thanks in advance!

Maria

10 REPLIES 10
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Marketo does have Inferred Country as a filter using IP reverse lookup. However, that's in the smart list.

But you can leverage that in several scenarios:

• Known Leads can modify tokens or segment/dynamic content by Country.
  • Munchkin can be used for Anonymous
  • RTP can also adjust content by this feature for Known or Anonymous
  • or you get your own tool/script to do this.

what's your use case?

Coonic_Agency
Level 2

Hi Josh, I just need to know only the viewers or visitors of the Landing Pages, without being Leads. Is that possible?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Am I right in assuming you want to see your website traffic broken down by country? If so, use something like Google Analytics instead. Just add the google analytics tracking codes to your landing pages.

You can't see the data of anonymous leads in Marketo, only people who have submitted their email address to your database.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can't see the data of anonymous leads in Marketo, only people who have submitted their email address to your database.

Mmm... you can see anonymous leads' Inferred Country in a Web Page Activity report.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_2.png

It's true that you can't see anonymous and associated data in the same report, but you can combine these particular reports in Excel/Sheets, then group by country.

Brent_Copeland
Level 2

I have the same question.  My use case is a bit different.   I want to stop tracking anyone from the EU. 

I was hoping we could obtain the country code through marketo and not have to rely on other outside services.  It would be great to get something passed to the landing pages by default.  Or even an option to add the do not track parameter if from a certain country.

Is there anything being worked on by Marketo to do something like this for GDPR?  Or is there a way that I'm currently missing?

SanfordWhiteman

I was hoping we could obtain the country code through marketo and not have to rely on other outside services. It would be great to get something passed to the landing pages by default. Or even an option to add the do not track parameter if from a certain country.

The Inferred Country is available as a token.

But you still can't do what you want with Marketo alone because the Inferred Country is not available on the first hit (it is generated on the server side and available once the session is associated -- this could be < 1 second later, but it will never be on the same pageview).

In addition, you can get even better accuracy with a very low-cost service like IP2Location, which will give you the results within the same pageview so you can decide to turn off/on Munchkin accordingly.

Brent_Copeland
Level 2

I'm assuming using the token would require munchkin to already be running and tracking the user as well, which I don't want.  Looking for something like cloudflare does.  Passing the country in the headers so it's there already.

SanfordWhiteman

Well, if it it were literally in the HTTP response headers of the main document, you couldn't read it anyway.

The only way you're going to be able to act on the public IP is by calling a remote service, getting a JSON/JSONP response, then loading Munchkin conditionally.

Brent_Copeland
Level 2

At this point, it's more of a request than a question, I guess.  Whether it's a backend setting when building the landing page or a rewrite with a parameter.  They are doing a call themselves already for inferred country.  It would be nice to have it available instead of having to redo the work.  And I appreciate the previous responses.  Confirmed what I assumed, and I can quit wishing and get to coding