Re: How to get cookied

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think it's because the cookie expired 30min or more later.

Munchkin cookies don't expire in 30m, so it's not that!

It looks at a glance like you're missing a UTM persistence library: JS, loaded on every page of your site, that intelligently stores and forwards UTMs across pageviews + touches.

Such libraries definitely can have a built-in timeout (though the typical default would be to wait for new UTMs to come in and store the previous ones until that point).

There are many such libraries, including those I've written myself, but I can't recommend any here due to Community rules.

Loren_Robeck
Level 2

Ah, thank you!! I've found your blog post on "quick-and-dirty-utm-forwarder". That sounds like the ticket! Will work on implementing with our devs. Thank you as always.

I see from Googling and reading developer docs, that Munchkin expires after 730 days! woot.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Loren,

If Sandy doesn't have some way of perpetuating the original utm parameters as the visitor progress through your site, the way I've solved this is to set a time limit and credit the lead to paid search if they filled out a form within, say, 20-30 minutes of visiting your site with the utm parameters being tracked. For example:

Smart List -

Trigger: Filled Out Form->Form Name

Filter:

Visited Web Page->is any

Query String contains: <utm parameter string>

within past 20 minutes

Flow  (depending upon your schema, something like this...) -

Source = Paid Search

Lead Source Detail = Google

Denise

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If Sandy doesn't have some way of perpetuating the original utm parameters as the visitor progress through your site

(Certainly do, but you have to search for it in my past posts...)

The problem (well, one of them!) with a Smart List-based approach, in addition to not sanely covering the infinite permutations of UTM codes that are possible over time, is that it's limited to 90 days at the absolute max.  For all but the shortest cycles this isn't acceptable. With a 2-year cookie only being able to look back 90 days is shooting yourself in the foot.

Loren_Robeck
Level 2

That makes sense, good suggestion Denise.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Danny,

Could you describe how you are testing that is resulting in visitors not becoming known who click links in Marketo emails directed to your site?

Denise

Danny_Tran5
Level 3

Of course.

I've tested tracking with myself and a coworker who have recently filled out forms for testing. The tracking works perfectly fine for both of us. However, when three other coworkers who are in the database but do not test forms (shown in their activity log) browses the site, nothing is logged. I then had these three coworkers click an email link to associate their lead records and then browse the site, but still nothing.

So then I created a test lead by filling out a form, and then I browsed the site, and the visits were reflected in the activity log.

I then created a lead manually in the database and clicked a link to associate the lead record in a different web browser. The web page visits did not log.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Danny,

It sounds like my question was superfluous because Sandy found the problem (great going, Sandy!).

Denise