Re: How to find contacts at list of companies

brianmcgann
Level 2

How to find contacts at list of companies

I have a list of approximately 4,000 companies and I've been asked to determine how many contacts we have at these companies in our database. What is the easiest way to do this? I don't think building a smart list by manually entering 4,000 individual company names is realistic. Can I import just company name and then somehow use that imported list to identify all contacts at those companies? 

5 REPLIES 5
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@brianmcgann ,

Me being me, I'd probably export the leads loading them into a DB, load the company list into the same DB and write a few lines of SQL

Cheers

Jo

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I don't think building a smart list by manually entering 4,000 individual company names is realistic.

Why not exactly? It’s just copy and paste into one textarea.

ThaísMacedo
Level 2

You can create a smart list - it's not that much work. Add the filter "Company name is = ", click on the + button and paste the entire list of companies. You don't have to do it one by one!

brianmcgann
Level 2

Thanks for the replies, here's an example of a company name I'd want to find: 

American Hardware & Lumber Association, The

This is how the company name is formatted on the list, so in this case would I search for "includes" or "equals"?

ThaísMacedo
Level 2

This is a little more complicated, but we can use a workaround. If you can fix the names in Excel/Google Sheets, it would be easier. Try copying/pasting the list, then click on "Split text to columns" using the comma as a separator. You'll get the main name in a column and the "the" in another. 

Just use the main name column on Marketo, using the filter "Company name contains _____". 

By the way: I always prefer using "contains" instead of "is", it's more errorproof when picking items from a long list.