SOLVED

How to embed a survey with several questions in a Marketo Email

Go to solution
AgnesL
Level 2

How to embed a survey with several questions in a Marketo Email

Hi

I need your help!

I need to automatically send a Marketo email each time, someone fills out a Marketo form on our website.

I have no issue with the trigger.

What I CANNOT do is to embed a survey within my email.

How should I proceed? Is there a tutorial? Should I code it? Is there any example?

Should I work with a third party platform? Which one? And then?

This request is urgent as I need to set up this automated survey email as soon as possible. It is critical for my job.

Thanks a lot for your precious help and time

Agnès

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to embed a survey with several questions in a Marketo Email

Well, you can’t embed surveys (forms) in emails, period. There’s no cross-platform support for any such thing.

You can include links to a Marketo form with Program Member Custom Fields that’s your survey, and perhaps use a set of pre-answered links to kick it off. For example, include https://pages.example.com?question1=turkey and https://pages.example.com?question1=chicken. That fills in the Favorite Poultry field. Then the rest of the questions are on the form itself.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, you can’t embed surveys (forms) in emails, period. There’s no cross-platform support for any such thing.

You can include links to a Marketo form with Program Member Custom Fields that’s your survey, and perhaps use a set of pre-answered links to kick it off. For example, include https://pages.example.com?question1=turkey and https://pages.example.com?question1=chicken. That fills in the Favorite Poultry field. Then the rest of the questions are on the form itself.

AgnesL
Level 2

That's indeed an option. But I really wanted to have everything in an email.

Guess I won't have any other option.

Thanks a lot for your help and time!

Zoe_Forman
Level 9 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

One quick fix would be to set up a Microsoft form, add the form link in a CTA button in your Marketo email. 

In the MS Form use radio buttons with your questions / answers 

You can export the MS Form replies and results in an Excel file  to analyse. 

This may help if you really are short on time and just need a quick poll and results. 

AgnesL
Level 2

Thanks! 

Zoe_Forman

@AgnesL how did you solve this? did you use a Marketo form for your survey 

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Zoe_Forman ,

Why would a MS form be more appropriate than a Marketo form?

Cheers

Jo

Zoe_Forman

@Jo_Pitts1 

If the blocker was budget, time constraints or resources, such as needing the web team to set up a landing page and embed a Marketo form, the MS form can be set up in 5 minutes, and a link added to Marketo Email to get it out and capture responses.

For sure, if the blockers aren't an issue, then yes, set up a landing page and MKTO form yourself is best.

Every company is different - we don't use MKTO landing pages so all new LP have to go through the in-house web team to build and embed MKTO forms. Others may have agencies or external resources which could cost $$

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@AgnesL ,

Fundamentally, you can't 'embed a survey' in an email if it has more then one question that can be answered with a button press (i.e. if you had a question that had two answers that you could get just from a button click then you could have two buttons directing to something that captured the data from the button clicks).

So, lets get the cart and horse in the right order and ask some questions here (throwing my BA hat on, as I am frustratingly wont to do):

1. How many questions are there?
  2. What type of data are you trying to capture through the questions?
  3. Do the respondents need to be kept anonymous?
  4. If the answer to 2. above is 'no', then do you want to leverage the data in Marketo?

Cheers

Jo

AgnesL
Level 2

Hi Jo,

Thanks a lot for your message. 

Here are my answers

1. How many questions are there? 5
  2. What type of data are you trying to capture through the questions? 1,2,3 ... and free text
  3. Do the respondents need to be kept anonymous? I don't want them to be anonymous
  4. If the answer to 2. above is 'no', then do you want to leverage the data in Marketo? Yes

Cheers

Agnès