SOLVED

Re: How to control which lead record gets updated through a form when there are multiple leads with the same email?

Go to solution
cdang
Level 2

How to control which lead record gets updated through a form when there are multiple leads with the same email?

We have a use case where we have duplicate leads with the same email address that represent different accounts, so we can send emails that are unique for each account to these leads.

So for example, Lead 1 has three separate records for Account A, Account B, and Account C and receives three separate emails with a form for each account. I'm finding that when Lead 1 submits a form, it always updates the record that is associated with the cookie stored on the user's browser, regardless of which account-specific email they clicked on for the form. The form is on a Marketo landing page that is tracked using the mkt_tok parameter.

Is there a way to "override" the cookie so that if the lead submits a form from the email for Account A, it only updates the record for Account A and so forth?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to control which lead record gets updated through a form when there are multiple leads with the same email?

So for example, Lead 1 has three separate records for Account A, Account B, and Account C and receives three separate emails with a form for each account. I'm finding that when Lead 1 submits a form

It's sort of confusing when you phrase it this way. In Marketo-speak, "Lead" is another word for "Person" (think about {{lead.tokens}}) so really you have 3 capital-L Leads.

You can delete the existing cookie — allowing Munchkin to create a fresh anonymous cookie — and not include the Email Address field on the form. This will update the lead that received the email, as it'll fall back to the mkt_tok query parameter. This of course has other consequences for activity tracking.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

So for example, Lead 1 has three separate records for Account A, Account B, and Account C and receives three separate emails with a form for each account. I'm finding that when Lead 1 submits a form

It's sort of confusing when you phrase it this way. In Marketo-speak, "Lead" is another word for "Person" (think about {{lead.tokens}}) so really you have 3 capital-L Leads.

You can delete the existing cookie — allowing Munchkin to create a fresh anonymous cookie — and not include the Email Address field on the form. This will update the lead that received the email, as it'll fall back to the mkt_tok query parameter. This of course has other consequences for activity tracking.

cdang
Level 2

Hi Sanford, thanks for your reply! My apologies for the confusing phrasing, but yes it would be 3 separate Lead records all with the same email address.

I added JS code to the landing page to clear the existing cookie upon form submission and that's doing the trick. Thanks again for your help!

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

How do you "delete the existing cookie"?