SOLVED

Re: How to change {{lead.email address}} token colour change in email

Go to solution
Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

How to change {{lead.email address}} token colour change in email

Hi all,

We use the sentence :

"this email was sent to {{lead.email address}}. If you wish to unsubscribe....." When the email is received this token info displays in blue, whereas our other links are an orange-ish colour. How can I change how this token renders? I am looking a the HTML and it isn't an <a href= > so I can't style the link.

We use #ea6c11 as a link colour..

Thanks,

Lucas

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There's nothing special going on here, it's like any mailto: link. Pls show the exact code you're using for the link. It should be along these lines:

<a class="mktNoTrack" href="mailto:{{Lead.Email Address}}">{{Lead.Email Address}}</a>

With of course your standard inline link styles also applied. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman

What you're probably seeing is the mail client synthesizing a clickable link where there isn't one, because a string looks like an address. This is very pernicious behavior that's a little tricky to turn off, because it's not coming from an actual <a>. But at the same time, you're saying you do want it to be a different color? Or do you not want it to be a link?

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

pernicious

Good word

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Hi Sanford, 

Using the <a> as a reference was only to illustrate, not to state a desired outcome. The footer in our email states that the email was sent to {{lead.email address}}, which populates (obviously) with the lead's email address. Unfortuantely it's a standard blue colour, as opposed to our branded link colour which decorates our homepage URL and other links in the same footer. 

Ideal outcome: The {{lead.email address}} will display the email address in the same colour as the other links in the footer. 

Is it possible?

SanfordWhiteman

You have to wrap the token in an explicit <a> (i.e. an <a href="mailto:">). You can't style the "intelligently" inserted link.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Thanks Sanford. 

To spell it out then, I would use <a href = "mailto:{{lead.email address}}"></a>, the token would intelligently populate, and the browsers/email servers would recognise it as a link and attribute the colour directed by the email settings input at the build stage?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, but email servers aren't involved. And browsers recognize all <a> elements as links by definition.

The only special treatment is given by email clients (as in: the Gmail web client) when rendering certain link-look-alike text as if it were a intentional link.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Hi Sanford,

I ran a test, and the live sample email came back with an empty space where the <a> was written in. Do you have an 'in case that doesn't work try this' step up your sleeve?

SanfordWhiteman

There's nothing special going on here, it's like any mailto: link. Pls show the exact code you're using for the link. It should be along these lines:

<a class="mktNoTrack" href="mailto:{{Lead.Email Address}}">{{Lead.Email Address}}</a>

With of course your standard inline link styles also applied. 

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

I see where I went wrong. My code was:

<a href = "mailto:{{lead.email address}}"></a>

So I can see where I have left out the important bit.

Thanks again.