How to build a transactional email for email address confirmation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to build a transactional email for email address confirmation?

We are trying to build an email through which users can confirm their email address after creating an account with our application, and communicate back to our proprietary database when users confirm the email address.

Our Create Account page is part of our application, it’s not a Marketo form.

Do you have any ideas on how to this in Marketo?

I have a few very conceptual ideas that would include:

• Request Campaign API call (when users are created in our system). Email is triggered with link to Landing page.
  • Landing page where we thank the user for confirming the email address and direct them to our application login page

We also need to communicate back to our system that the user clicked the link in the Marketo email/visited the Landing page. My first thoughts where to have a Smart Campaign that sets a field to TRUE when users click on link and then get that value through an API call.

I haven’t fleshed out all the details, so I’m not sure if my solution is even viable.

I was hoping Marketo will have something more out-of-the-box for this common use case, but couldn’t find anything so far.

How did you build your email address confirmation email?

Any inputs/ideas are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to build a transactional email for email address confirmation?

Don't waste API calls on this. They are extremely precious.

Assuming Munchkin is running on your domain (it should be, if you want to keep Marketo useful) The Clicked Link in Email activity will show that the lead confirmed their address.  You can fire a webhook back to your system when that activity comes in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the very useful tip. Unfortunately, our initial Marketo integration did not include the Munchkin code. I do agree with you that we are missing some opportunities there without it. From what I could gather it doesn’t require too much work, so we might go that route before adding any new transactional emails.

SanfordWhiteman

Thank you for the very useful tip. Unfortunately, our initial Marketo integration did not include the Munchkin code. I do agree with you that we are missing some opportunities there without it.

Actually, even without Munchkin, the Clicked Link in Email (and that alone) will be registered, but you will not be able to take action on further web activities by the same lead.

I can't imagine using Marketo without running Munchkin on all web properties.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aha, great! I will look into your suggestion to use a webhook back to our system when users clicks on email link. If my understanding was correct, this will not count toward our daily API calls quota.

I'm not the technical resource in my team and I just did a quick research on webhooks, so I apologies if my understanding is incorrect.

SanfordWhiteman

That is correct. Webhooks are outbound and don't count toward your API limit. You shouldn't use them for continuous daily thrashing, but for, let's say, ~25K calls per day they are fine.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can add the munchkin code to your website any time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo without Munchkin!! is insane. I find that difficult to believe.