Re: How Im Handling CASL

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Im Handling CASL

Thought I would share my approach to this new regulation since it's taken a bit of work 🙂 

Here is my checklist from my Google doc of everything I need to do in Marketo. Im performing these all with Smart Campaigns in Marketo and Workflow rules in Salesforce. 

Housecleaning - unsubscribed if opt-in checkbox is NULL and country = Canada
    Housecleaning - if unsubscribe = true, then opt-in for Canada is NULL
    Populate opt-in field for all Canadian customers
    Daily batch to check for opt-in expiration - 3 years for customers. 6 months for implied opt-in
    Canadian Opportunity list - 3 years implied opt-in - update status with date
    Implied opt-in for actions taken in last 6 months - webinar registration, whitepaper download 
    Smart campaign built in Marketo to auto-send opt-in request when new leads created with country = Canada

First I created an Opt-In checkbox field and Opt-In date field in Salesforce. I setup a Salesforce workflow rule that populates the date/time in the Opt-In date field anytime the Opt-In checkbox field is changed.

Next, I created a workflow that locked the email field in Salesforce if the Opt-In field was checked and country = Canada. 

All the campaigns listed above are to update all customers and implied opt-ins prior to July 1 so I know who to send an opt-in email to. Then to make sure we are asking for opt-in when new leads come in from Canada. 

For those impied opt-ins, I have campaigns set to run everyday and check the date field. If the country = Canada, opt-in is true and date is more than 6 months ago with no activity, we send opt-in email and change value to false until we get validation from the recipient. 

Although I have setup a smart list to be using in campaigns going forward, Im going to unsubscribe non-opt-ins just as a safety measure.  (we dont use 'marketing suspended')

Im not sure if this helps any of you but wanted to share in the event that it does. 
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is very helpful. Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is great. Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Christina, would you mind posting the text of your "auto-send opt-in request when new leads created with country = Canada" email? We are struggling with the wording and it would be super helpful to see what someone else is doing. Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you looking for the email content? That looks like this:

Keep Getting Great Content From CloudBees

Hello ,

We serve up a lot of Jenkins goodness at CloudBees and we don't want you to miss out on anything! You can gain access to the Jenkins experts at CloudBees and all the related content with just one simple click. By opting in, you will receive information relevant to your position and your objectives. 

Click here to opt-in and never miss out on key insights that could take your organization to the next level.

Relevant messages may include:

• Invites to industry webinars
  • Notifications of local events
  • Email offers including analyst report availability and whitepapers
  • New product release information the moment it happens

Let's-Go.png

Thank you!

CloudBees

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really can't thank you enough for putting this checklist and text out there. It's made my life a lot easier this week!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem. Feel free to email me cpappas@cloudbees.com if you want to chat/bounce ideas/walk through anything. 
Jamye_Breidenba
Level 3

This is great! Thanks for sharing.
Matt_Rushing1
Level 2

Great post - thank you!  One question: what does your daily batch that checks the date of the opt-in look like?  Are you doing that in Marketo?  I can't seem to set "before 6 months ago" on a date field in Marketo.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Matt

Ok - so this is what I did as a workaround - in Marketo.

Smart List:
(1 and 2 and 3) or 4
1) Opt-In = True
2) Not filled out form in last 6 months
3) SFDC Type is not Customer
4) Not Clicked Link in Email - Opt-In Canada Email Link

Flow:
Change Data Value for Opt-In field
Choice 1) If opt-in date in last 6 months, change value to True
Default value set to False

So this protects those that opted in via my email campaign, and also those that engaged in last 6 months. Hope that makes sense!