Re: How does Munchkin identify users without a form submission?

corey_wilson
Level 1

How does Munchkin identify users without a form submission?

My question is around how, or if Munchkin code can identify individual leads who have engaged with a CTA but have not submitted a Marketo form?

I have multiple sales reps who want to include a graphic/promotion in the signature of their personal Outlook email offering a demo of our training software. So basically I need to create a Smart Campaign that identifies each lead who "clicks" on the offer and sends an alert to the corresponding rep.

In this scenario, each rep will have a graphic promotion embedded in the signature of their email offering a demo, which will then direct the recipient to a custom landing page that is built on Wordpress. 

Ideally, I could create a form that collects each lead's information and sends an alert based on their existing contact information in Marketo, or the information they just submitted via a Marketo form.  

But is this the only accurate way for Marketo to track individual users, or does Munchkin identify users who are already known in our Marketo/Salesforce database simply from landing on the page?  

And what about for users who are unknown in Marketo, or might be returning users and have the Munchkin cookie embedded in their browser, but have no personal information synced to Marketo?

What if the user is known in Marketo but has cleared their cookie history, will Munchkin still be able to identify them?

Keep in mind that this promotion is a graphic embedded in our sales reps Outlook email signature which directs them to a Wordpress landing page with Munchkin embedded in the theme.

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Clicking a link in a Marketo email that leads to a Munchkin-enabled page automatically associates the Munchkin cookie with the lead.

It isn't even necessary for the click itself (Clicked Email) to be registered: as long as the special mkt_tok query parameter is present on the final destination page, that's all Munchkin needs. (By default, the link is usually tracked to make that happen, but it's possible to have an untracked link that still has a mkt_tok.)

This process is pretty much fundamental, it's the thing that makes Munchkin "magical".

corey_wilson
Level 1

Hi Sanford,

Thank you for your reply.  That is what I thought, I was just not sure. 

What about if the user has cleared their cookie history recently?  Would Munchkin still be able to identify the individual user?

SanfordWhiteman

If they click a tracked link, then the newly created anonymous cookie will be associated with their lead.

Of course old actions logged under the now-deleted cookie will be forever anonymous, because the browser has no memory of the outdated cookie (wouldn't be "deleted" if they did!).

TBlane_McMichen
Marketo Employee

So, if the link clicked is from an SMS CTA, would it need to be to a personalized URL, a UTM value or something similar?  We are going to have some SMS sent via webhook, and of course there are character limits that may be problematic for mkt_tok.  Also, our leads may not have an email address.  I'm thinking I would need an LP with a personalized URL to make the association with the person record.

SanfordWhiteman

You can't add the mkt_tok to a webhook (not directly) anyway, so use a pURL, yes.