I suppose one way to combat this is to remove the VWP filter and turn that into a choice as part of the "Change Program Status" flow (along with a 15 minute wait step):
Keep in mind, though, this "choice" will qualify the person if the visited the page at any previous time - not just as part of this email send.
While this is helpful, it's still not a great fix for the false click issue.
We found that so many people run adblockers that if we just trigger off visits web page, we are missing lots of folks who actually did engage but will never load Munchkin tracking. And the number running adblockers will probably continue to increase.
The visits web page filter ends up counteracting the real value of click tracking for us anyway. In a world without email scanners, click tracking seems the most accurate way to measure engagement.
Cleaning out bad emails! Sirius Decisions has a great list of bad emails you can filter out of your email send list. This will improve your open/click rate and will reduce your likelihood of getting marked as spam.
Also, implementing a break up email is a great way to stop emailing the dead leads. Michael Madden & Stacey Thornberry cover it in this session: https://events.marketo.com/summit/2017/sessions/they-love-me-they-love-me-not-create-an-email-databa...
Even though it's a pain in the heinie, we keep up with OOO auto-replies to mark dead emails invalid. We also check the database once a common week for common spam traps and use a breakup email reactivation campaign.
Keeping up with best practices, good lead hygiene and retiring leads that are unmarketable are the ways that we keep our rates up high!
We are having a similar issue. Deliverability is in the 9x% range consistently, but our open/click rates are incredibly low. We work primarily in the life sciences space, so I wonder (like other folks have mentioned) if our emails are getting delivered - but not necessarily to the end recipient's inbox.
We've tested different email formats (text v. HTML, no image vs. hero image, CTA buttons v. text links, etc.) and aren't noticing a huge difference either way you shake it. I've also started narrowing our Smart Lists even more by restricting any bounced addresses, blocks, low activity, and so on. Still no luck. We perform fairly regular review of our database (at least quarterly) to get rid of old leads and dud emails. At this point I figure it must be a domain issue.
Any tips from folks out there?
+1 here. This is a major problem for the B2B space and there's simply no good solution out there.. yet.
It may be a signal though that we as marketers need to rethink what it means to track performance and measure engagement. I think it's only going to get more difficult in the coming years. 😕
Yes! this is a major issue for us too. response from Marketo has been a bit frustrating to be honest. We got the "your deliverability is 97%+ etc" feedback, which is less than helpful.
We see consistent blocking due to either IP block or blacklist subscription by recipient orgs, and we know from feedback from actual customers of ours that they receive none of our Marketo generated communications at all.
We maintain good data, and we can send to them from our domain, but anything through Marketo is blocked.