How do you add a Gmail calendar file to an event invite?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you add a Gmail calendar file to an event invite?

I have used the Microsoft Outlook save the date file, but my organisation only has us set up with Gmail so it would be great to be including save the date links that are compatible with Gmail.

14 REPLIES 14
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Re: How do you add a Gmail calendar file to an event invite?

.ics files are compatible with Google, but since it's a Web based email client, you have to upload it to Google Calendar (as clicking the file would usually default to Outlook).

To add it to the Google Calendar:

1. Download the ics file
  2. Open Google Calendar on a computer. Note: You can only import from a computer, not a phone or tablet.
  3. In the top right, click Settings settings gear button > Settings.
  4. Open the Calendars tab.
  5. Click Import calendars between the "My calendars" and "Other Calendars" sections.
  6. Click Choose File and select the file you exported. The file should end in "ics" or "csv"
  7. Choose which calendar to add the imported events to. By default, events will be imported into your primary calendar.
  8. Click Import.

It's not the best of answers but that's how we advise our team to do it. If you are on a Mac, you can default .ics files to the Calendar that then in turn can sync the Google Calendar easier.

The main audience is usually Outlook so if they work there, you should be confident that your customers will have no issues. You should run a Smart List to see how many people in your database use Gmail as there email client, that will give you an idea if you need to do more work on this or invest in other Calendar reminder solutions that work on both Online and Desktop agents.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

See the workaround in this Idea:

I really don't think you can expect leads to download and import an ICS file.  Internal folks, maybe.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Here's a great external all around tool - AddEvent

Working out your audience is important before having to do work arounds of course. I face the same Gmail issue everyday but statistically Outlook is the most used email client for us, so we focus on that.

SanfordWhiteman

Working out your audience is important before having to do work arounds of course. I face the same Gmail issue everyday but statistically Outlook is the most used email client for us, so we focus on that.

Yep, I do see many clients who either over- or under-emphasize a specific mail app instead of representing their audience. An example would be testing with personal Gmail accounts, where images are on by default, though the majority of their leads use Exchange.  (I understand the drive to not clutter your own inbox with test emails, but it's frustrating to watch.)

That said, in B2C, even without running a report it's reasonable to assume that you should prioritize the experience of Gmail (and Yahoo) users.

And In B2B, once you figure in OWA usage (I don't know many "Outlook" users who only use the ICS-compatible full client) you really don't get as much point-in-time ICS coverage as you think.

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

That's a good point. We use Gmail at work, as do many of our customers, but there are still many businesses using Outlook. I, too, have taken to using AddEvent (or similar services) so all calendars are represented - the biggest downside being that it's no longer a token. At least not without incorporating a couple more workarounds.

Priyank_Joshi3
Level 6

Hi Danielle,

You can also try updating your HTML with code -

<a href="http://www.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&text={{my.calTitle}}&dates={{my.calDateStart}}T{{my.calTimeStart}}/{{my.calDateEnd}}T{{my.calTimeEnd}}&details={{my.calDescription}}&location={{my.calLocation}}&trp=true" target="_blank">Add to Google Calendar</a>

and tokenize your link parameters

{{my.calTitle}} = Event Titile.

{{my.calDateStart}} = Starting date of the event in this format: YYYYMMDD

{{my.calTimeStart}} = Starting time of the event in GMT, in format: HHMMSS

{{my.calDateEnd}} = Ending date of the event in format: YYYYMMDD

{{my.calTimeEnd}} = Ending time of the event in GMT, in format: HHMMSS

{{my.calDescription}} = Event Description

{{my.calLocation}} = Event Location

Thanks

Priyank

shae_mclaughlin
Level 1

Hi, 

I am curious do I need to add timezone? If so, how do I need to input.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this tool that creates links for you to add to various types of calendars: AddToCalendar - free button for event page and email. Calendar widget to add event to calendar. Mail...

SanfordWhiteman

Hey Maggie Ring -- saw you were checking out this old thread, but I don't know if you've seen Agical.io, which supports totally tokenized calendar invites (with reminders), including Google Calendar.  I built it specifically to plug the gaps in Marketo calendar tokens.