How do I test if a form is updating a database record correctly?

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

How do I test if a form is updating a database record correctly?

I've created a simple form that will be used on a PURL site. The form fields include: academic major, mobile phone, and parent email. I've got a test list with a test user. How do I test this form to make sure it's recording the form response correctly?

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How do I test if a form is updating a database record correctly?

Check the details of the Filled Out Form activity in the Activity Log pane.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Thanks for your feedback. Where exactly do I find the activity log pane? By the way, this form isn't live yet. I just want to test it first.

SanfordWhiteman

When viewing a Person in the Marketo UI, the Activity Log is one of the nav links on the top.

The form has to be "live" in the sense that it has to be on a published page, or you can't test it. Of course that page need not have a known, guessable, nor indexed URL.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Oh I see. So how exactly does the form know which user record to update?

SanfordWhiteman

By the Email Address on the form or an already-associated Munchkin session, if Email is not on the form.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

We don't ask for their email address on the form, because we already have it. Each user will receive an email with a link to their PURL site (example: site.edu/JohnSmith), which displays dynamic content based on the user's database values. For example, if the user has not previously filled out the "What is your major?" form field, then they will see a generic introduction. If we already have their major in the database, then it displays information about their major. 

I've already got the form fields and segmentation set up to handle all that logic. I guess I'm just having trouble understanding how the browser would know which user filled out the form. Is it just looking at the PURL link? 

I published my webpage and used my test user's Marketo Unique Code as part of the PURL link. I filled out the form, but it didn't update my test user's database record/activity log. The major field is still blank. So, I'm not sure if I'm using the PURL link correctly or the form isn't talking to the database. 

SanfordWhiteman

Search for people who have a Filled Out Form activity. Work from there.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

How do I do that?

Michael_Florin
Level 10

By running a Smart List with the "Filled Out Form" filter:

pastedImage_1.png