Re: How do I set up a personalized url / purl?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Of course, same with any link that doesn't require a preexisting login.
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Agree with Sandy here - there's really no benefit (and in fact adds unneeded complexity) when using PURLs in email.  Especially since you don't normally display the actual URL within the email - and instead use actionable keywords for the call-to-action (e.g., "Download the whitepaper"). 

For tactics/channels like Direct Mail - where you need to "stamp" a simple URL on the collateral so that the user can easily access the LP (and ultimately have a unique/personalized experience (if they're previously cookied users)) - have you followed the steps here: Export a List with Personalized URLs - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

SanfordWhiteman

Agree with Sandy here - there's really no benefit (and in fact adds unneeded complexity) when using PURLs in email. Especially since you don't normally display the actual URL within the email - and instead use actionable keywords for the call-to-action (e.g., "Download the whitepaper").

- and when the URL is click-tracked, the original URL isn't shown at all!

Chelsea, you can append {{Lead.Marketo Unique Code}} to the pathname of the URL as required for a pURL, but take it from Dan and me, this will only add confusion. If leads copy the URL from the email, they're still copying the tracked URL @ your branding domain.

Stephanie_Chmie
Level 2

Can you only export a list of people who have already come to a Marketo landing page. I want to create personalized URL's for a mail campaign. We do not use Marketo forms or Landing pages yet?  However most if not all have opened an email that has been sent from Marketo.

I tried to export it but I am not getting the Include Personalized URL option.

I hope that makes sense.

SanfordWhiteman

It's not a prereq that the lead has visited an LP. That wouldn't make sense (and in fact it's better if they've never visited your site at all).

But you do need an LP with pURLs enabled to do the export (how else could there be a URL in the resulting file?). Make sure you have one of these and have followed all the steps in the doc above.

If you're still having problems please open a new thread.

Stephanie_Chmie
Level 2

We have done all that and the option is still not showing up. I am going to create a support ticket. Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

You can open a Community thread (not necessary a ticket), but resurrecting this one is bad for Community organization/later searches.

Anyway, you actually don't need to export the URL if you have the Marketo Unique Code/Marketo Unique Name in your export.  The URL always follows the exact same pattern: www.example.com/page/{{Marketo Unique Code}}.  So you can just construct the new column in Excel.

Renee
Level 3

Hi, I have an same question. I have enabled personalized URL and no idea if I need to append the lead's first name on the URL behind or Marketo will append the name and code automatically. 

For example, if the URL is https://reach.apple.com/FY21APR-NXE-5811_test.html

Do I need to add the first name behind https://reach.apple.com/FY21APR-NXE-5811_test.html/Reneecheng ?

However, I took myself as an example but I couldn't export the CSV file with my record as below. Not sure what's wrong with the operation. 

Thank you for the instruction !

Renee_0-1629729697979.png

SanfordWhiteman

Why are you using a pURL?

There's no situation where Marketo *could* add data to the URL where you would need a pURL.