Re: How do I get the form field to show up in email?

Nik_Friedman_Te
Level 2

Blane McMichen - when you're using generic fields, how to you manage things so that individual form submissions are tracked and saved? I haven't found a way within the Marketo database to audit the actual contents of a given form submission, it just overwrites previous values. Is there any easy way to access that or, better yet, include every form field in some sort of history field? (There's the comment history field, but that's all fairly manual to keep up to date - I'd rather have a campaign/method to just glom together every field submitted.)

TBlane_McMichen
Marketo Employee

Nik Friedman TeBockhorst- I created a few fields to use for my various campaigns.  You do need to keep track of how you are using them, which may be manually.  I created fields like... Generic_Integer_1, Generic_Boolean_1, Generic_String_1, etc.

I would use them in the campaign for temporary uses, and if I was concerned about a previous value, I would add a Smart Campaign action to Change Data Value.  Then I would use it for the campaign.  For example, I might use it for a dinner event to capture if they want Beef, Chicken, Fish, Vegetarian.  I wouldn't create a permanent field, because they may not always want "Chicken".  Suffice it to say that these fields are only used as a "scratch pad" for the campaign and are not considered part of the leads enduring profile.

I'm not sure I fully understand the "history" values that you want to track. You can concatenate values into a string and then use the "contains" choice in your trigger or filter.  This will work for logic, but not very useful if you want to display it to the lead.  In those cases, you may need to build in some methods to parse and display the list of field values.

I hope that helps.  If not, reply with more details on your use case.

Nik_Friedman_Te
Level 2

What I'm trying to figure is how to make the point-in-time responses part of the enduring profile. Taking your example:

I have a "request a demo" form that uses "genericTextField" with a pick list of different products they'd want to have demoed.

I also have a "dinner RSVP" form which uses the "genericTextField" field with a pick list of "beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian".

Now I have a person who visits the demo form and then shortly afterwards RSVPs for the dinner. The next day, as I review the response for these two programs, I see someone submitted a demo request form and wanted to have a demo of... chicken.

Since Marketo doesn't make a history of form submit values easily available (or so it appears - I'm still new to Marketo), this makes any sort of reporting on results pretty tricky. Is there something I'm missing, or would I just need to rely on an internal email alert on the form submits and content myself to having no retroactive reference?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator