SOLVED

How do I find out what caused a Web Services Error

Go to solution
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

How do I find out what caused a Web Services Error

I get error reports on this from time to time but all I see is this.  How do I use this information to trouble shoot? What cause the error? Why can't you put the description of the 1003 instead of the 1003?  Furthermore, I am one of the admins.  After I contact myself, who do I contact?

Web Services Error

May 29, 2015 1:05 PM EDT

Web Services Error

Why: The Web Services encountered the following error.
Error Code  Count 

What to do now?
Please contact your Marketo admin for further troubleshooting.
Robb Barrett
Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I find out what caused a Web Services Error

From what I read, error 1003 means you did not specify the proper action (e.g. create/update) in your call.

Here's the page with the list of error codes: Error Codes » Marketo Developers

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Ask Support to help.

You may find more in developers.marketo.com, but I haven't.

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Hey Robb Barrett​ did you ever find a solution? I've had some of these errors as well and all support tells me is that it has to do with "My REST Service" in LaunchPoint and I have to track it down myself from there.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

No, no help.  I was told to figure it out but I don't know if it's inbound or outbound.  Doesn't help that the activity code for success is actually labeled as "failure" in Marketo. 

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I read, error 1003 means you did not specify the proper action (e.g. create/update) in your call.

Here's the page with the list of error codes: Error Codes » Marketo Developers

Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

unfortunately the doc doesn't tell you how to track down what caused the error- you just get:

"When the data submitted is not a valid type for the given endpoint or mode; such as when id is submitted for a lead with action designated as createOnly or when using Request Campaign on a batch campaign."

But how do you find out which campaign - I am our Marketo Admin so have no one else to ask,

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, the real problem is that far too many client apps don't do any error detection, let alone error logging, let alone error alerting.

Each and every one of the errors was "felt" by a client app well before showing up in the UI.

I recommend you pass all inbound connections through an API gateway, which will let you turn on or off full transaction logging to see the problem at the root.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

>activity code for success is actually labeled as "failure" in Marketo.

What do you mean by this, Robb?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have recently received this error as well. Was anyone able to pinpoint the source? How did you do it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The link that Kristen provided is the correct place to look - you will find the codes for the errors there.  If you're not an API developer, these won't make much sense to you.  You will need to see if any of your launchpoint integrations are failing - if so, then this could be the culprit for what caused the error(s) and you can provide the error codes to the launchpoint (company) for further troubleshooting.