SOLVED

Re: How did you incorporate Sharing Buttons in Email Newsletters?

Go to solution
Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

How did you incorporate Sharing Buttons in Email Newsletters?

Have you ever incorporated sharing buttons on email newsletter articles? If so, how did you go about doing it? Does Marketo have any tools for this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

At a minimum, I want customers to be able to share the link to the article. Ideally, not sure if it's even possible, would be nice to share the title/description in the email along with the link when customers click share.

OK, whew, I'm glad you already have these articles somewhere, because extracting articles from email content isn't practical/possible.

It sounds like you just need to know how to construct sharing URLs. The process is different for each social network. The annoyance is going to be that most of the networks publish a JavaScript-based way of constructing "Share This" buttons, which is cool, but will absolutely not work in an email.  As a result you need to reverse-engineer, to a degree, how those buttons end up constructing URLs, then use that same structure in your email. For example, a Twitter button (last time I checked) constructs URLs like

http​s://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=My%20Status%20%20https%3A%2F%2Fsharemakercdn.figureone.com%2F9d7e71c7-b2aa-4658-9c47-d5b61089ebbb%2F-%2Finline%2Fyes%2FAllegro%20%23MyHashTag

So you'd need to create links like that. I recommend using a Velocity script to emit the links because you'll need to URI-encode stuff (as you can see above). It is possible to create the links by hand, though.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Depends on what you're trying to share. Do you mean sharing the email content itself?

Danielle_Wong

Yes, I want to let our clients share specific articles from our newsletter.

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 7:54 PM Sanford Whiteman <marketingnation@marketo.com>

SanfordWhiteman

That's a tough one with Marketo alone.

Are your articles also standalone web pages? Or do they only exist in the context of the email (and in its web version)? What exactly do you want people to be able to share?

Danielle_Wong

My articles link to landing pages. At a minimum, I want customers to be able to share the link to the article.  Ideally, not sure if it's even possible, would be nice to share the title/description in the email along with the link when customers click share.

SanfordWhiteman

At a minimum, I want customers to be able to share the link to the article. Ideally, not sure if it's even possible, would be nice to share the title/description in the email along with the link when customers click share.

OK, whew, I'm glad you already have these articles somewhere, because extracting articles from email content isn't practical/possible.

It sounds like you just need to know how to construct sharing URLs. The process is different for each social network. The annoyance is going to be that most of the networks publish a JavaScript-based way of constructing "Share This" buttons, which is cool, but will absolutely not work in an email.  As a result you need to reverse-engineer, to a degree, how those buttons end up constructing URLs, then use that same structure in your email. For example, a Twitter button (last time I checked) constructs URLs like

http​s://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=My%20Status%20%20https%3A%2F%2Fsharemakercdn.figureone.com%2F9d7e71c7-b2aa-4658-9c47-d5b61089ebbb%2F-%2Finline%2Fyes%2FAllegro%20%23MyHashTag

So you'd need to create links like that. I recommend using a Velocity script to emit the links because you'll need to URI-encode stuff (as you can see above). It is possible to create the links by hand, though.

Danielle_Wong

Thanks so much Sanford. This is incredibly helpful and I'm going to try this stuff out!!!!