SOLVED

Re: How can I make an existing campaign 'executable'

Go to solution
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

How can I make an existing campaign 'executable'

All,

I am very keen to make use of the execute campaign flow step.  However, I want to apply it to some existing campaigns.

Is there a way to make those existing campaigns 'executable' as per campaign creation?

Also, it isn't 100% clear from the Marketo Documentation... does an executed campaign return to the calling campaign after it has finished to allow the calling campaign to complete e.g., if I have campaigns

* CampaignA with steps 1, 2, 3 (execute Campaign B), 4 

* Campaign B with steps 1, 2, 3

will step 4 of campaignA get executed after B has been completed?

Cheers

Jo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katja_Keesom

Hi Jo,

As far as I have seen you cannot make an existing smart campaign executable. That would also be tricky, as you cannot add any other triggers to an executable campaign, so it will not even work for all smart campaigns.

When it comes to the sequence of steps, that is exactly what will happen and that is the whole point of this new feature. With the Request Campaign you always had the issue that the requested campaign ran in parallel to the smart campaign that requested it so it was difficult to control the sequence of steps. This new process will enforce exactly this sequence of steps.

But you would have to recreate your smart campaign as an executable I'm afraid.

Katja

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Katja_Keesom

Hi Jo,

As far as I have seen you cannot make an existing smart campaign executable. That would also be tricky, as you cannot add any other triggers to an executable campaign, so it will not even work for all smart campaigns.

When it comes to the sequence of steps, that is exactly what will happen and that is the whole point of this new feature. With the Request Campaign you always had the issue that the requested campaign ran in parallel to the smart campaign that requested it so it was difficult to control the sequence of steps. This new process will enforce exactly this sequence of steps.

But you would have to recreate your smart campaign as an executable I'm afraid.

Katja

kelkingt
Level 1

You cannot directly change an existing campaign to an executable campaign, but you can clone your campaign and toggle the "Executable" box in the clone dialog to make an executable copy of it, as long as the source doesn't have any triggers in it's smart list rules.  If you're cloning from a trigger campaign source, you can to a non-executable first, remove your triggers, and then clone again as an executable.  This is admittedly a bit clumsy for cloning from trigger campaigns, so we'll look at making that a bit easier.

does an executed campaign return to the calling campaign after it has finished to allow the calling campaign to complete e.g., if I have campaigns

* CampaignA with steps 1, 2, 3 (execute Campaign B), 4 

* Campaign B with steps 1, 2, 3

will step 4 of campaignA get executed after B has been completed?

Yes, A4 will execute after B3