Honeypot in Emails

Troy_Larson
Level 3

Honeypot in Emails

Hi all, 

Quick question, if I create a honeypot link in my email footer and make the font size 0 it will still get clicked on by bots, right? I know it'll be invisible to the "human-eye" but that's the point. The goal is to make a link that only a bot would hit, so I just wanted to see  if anyone else adopted this approach and if they had success with it. 

Thanks,

-Troy

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Honeypot in Emails

The question isn't so much whether clicks on that link can be identified as non-human clicks, but whether you have the granular, time-window reporting to do anything reliable with that info (spoiler: not really).

Troy_Larson
Level 3

Hey Sanford -

Hope you're well, mate. Well I was going to basically set marketo up so that if someone clicks that I mark them as unsubscribed. That way i can at the minimum i can easily look at who is clicking that and see if there are any patterns. Plus, i saw seeing a several people's activity log where all links were clicked (which seems like a spam filter testing them to see if there are any viruses there). As a result, again I wanted to use that honeypot = True to suppress scoring for that person (for our email clicks link lead scoring). 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well I was going to basically set marketo up so that if someone clicks that I mark them as unsubscribed.  

That's a really strange maneuver. Why would you use that field, of all fields?

As a result, again I wanted to use that honeypot = True to suppress scoring for that person (for our email clicks link lead scoring). 

That only makes sense if you admit that unscored people may actually be engaging, because when that same person (the actual human) takes action you'll be ignoring it.