Re: Hiding Custom Fields

PikeStLabs
Level 2

Hiding Custom Fields

Hi there, we have a bunch of custom fields in the Persons table that have been added over time that we need to clean up and 'hide'. The problem I'm having is you can't hide it if emails/forms have a reference to that field.

The "Filter Used By:" lists all the places that field is in use where it needs to be removed from is my understanding. 

However, in many cases when I go to the email/form that it is referring to, I cannot find a reference to that custom field anywhere. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place(s)?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

On the form side, are you sure you're looking in all the different places — default values, hidden fields, rich text areas?

PikeStLabs
Level 2

In most cases they are emails being referenced, many that are part of a Program Nurture Campaign.

It feels like the only place these could appear in email are are tokens bc these particular emails aren't using any snippets or dynamic variables. 

I also thought maybe they were being used as part of a smart campaign filter and I don't see them there either.

Are there other areas I should be checking that I'm not?

Thanks

SanfordWhiteman

Smart List, Flow, Email Template, Email Asset...

PikeStLabs
Level 2

I dug around a lot and still not seeing it.

If a group of 'members' in a 'program' were at one point added based on a smart campaign filter and then the filter was deleted, would that custom field still be expected by marketo? That's the only thing I can imagine maybe being the cause. I ask bc I see member that must have been added at one point based on a smart list criteria, but now the smart list filters are all empty but the member list it created has remained.  

SanfordWhiteman

That wouldn't be it, no.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Script Tokens?

I actually never had this problem, and I was just recently hiding and de-referencing fields quite extensively. The "Field Used By" area in Field Management gave me all the information I needed. (Great change by the way, that we can now right-click these links and open in a new tab!)

PikeStLabs
Level 2

Thanks for all the replies. I agree normally I just click the link and easily identify the reference. There are only a few cases where I'm finding this isn't working (or at least not nearly so obvious). 

Here is an example of what I would see. When I click on it, it takes me to the email it is referencing. At that point my only option is to Edit Draft which is where I'd expect to see the reference, but I don't. I even checked the HTML code.  Under Used By it shows the Program that is using the email, but even going there doesn't show any obvious reference to it. I will say the Program has many streams, so perhaps it is buried in there, but that wouldn't explain why the Used By would point to the email instead of the program. 

Michael_Florin
Level 10

The only idea I'm having is that the field is used in a lead token on that email. If it were used by a script token, it would be displayed as being used by a program, so that can't be it.

PikeStLabs
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion. How would I check " the field is used in a lead token on that email."

I didn't build the emails originally so I'm reverse engineering what someone previously did.

Thanks