Hard Bounce/Invalid Email - Engagement Program

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Bounce/Invalid Email - Engagement Program

Scenario: A lead qualifies for an email program - receives Email 1 - then bounces/is invalid. However, a sales rep is notified of an invalid email address and corrects the email address (and re-selects a certain status in Salesforce for the lead to qualify for the smart campaign again). How can I make Marketo recognize this lead to qualify -  even though I have set the smart campaign to allow leads to only run through once?

We would like the lead to start the engagement program from the very beginning but I am not sure how to do this. Do I need to clone the engagement program and create a whole new smart campaign to filter for these leads?  Any advice would be extremely helpful.
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Amy_Lepre
Level 7

Re: Hard Bounce/Invalid Email - Engagement Program

I think I'd probably do it the way you mentioned - can't think of another way to push that lead back into the smart campaign if it's set to run through only once. 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The question is really did the lead get pulled from the Engagement when it was marked as Invalid=TRUE?

Unless you have a campaign doing that, the answer is the email is still active in the Engagement, so resetting the email and setting Invalid=FALSE (which should be an automatic process), will have the lead ready for the next Cast.

Now if you want to restart that lead, I recommend:
  1. If lead bounces/invalid/etc, pull out of Engagement
  2. if Email Address Changes AND Invalid=TRUE, then set Invalid=FALSE
  3. If lead was Member of Campaign 1, and Invalid becomes FALSE, then Add to Engagement Program
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for your reply. We haven't implemented these campaigns - I am still developing and testing.

a. The thing with this nurture is that its not built as an engagement program. It is actually a set of 3 different smart campaigns (because it relies on triggers and isn't on a regular cadence). Therefore, unfortunately I would not be able to pull out of engagement (1.) or add back to engagement (3.).

b. Could I instead (1.) Make member of program FALSE. (2.) Then, when email changes, change Invalid = TRUE to Invalid = FALSE. (3.) Since it is no longer recognized as a member, would it be able to run through the campaigns again at the next scheduled run?

c. Also, I've been reading that when an email address is updated in Salesforce, a new lead is created in Marketo. Is this true? This would completely change my game plan.

Thank you very much for your time.