SOLVED

Google Ads - Marketo Native Integration Not Working

Go to solution
Evelina077
Level 1

Google Ads - Marketo Native Integration Not Working

Hi All, 

I have a use case which uses Google Ads and Marketo native integration (the integration is not working for some reason), and I am looking for some help. See more details below.

The goal is to send offline conversion data from Marketo to Google Ads. We have integrated Marketo with Google Ads through the LaunchPoint. Currently, we have four conversions built out inside of Google Ads, and each conversion has its associated stage values (see below). The conversion data is supposed to be sent to Google Ads if someone's stage field value changes to any of the associated values with each conversion. We built the RCM model, mapped all the conversions with Google Ads (e.g., Prospecting - Native Marketo Test 1, Qualification -> native Marketo Test 2), and did some tests. But nothing was showing up inside of Google Ads. I'm not exactly sure which step went wrong. I tested by changing the stage field value to any of the associated values of these conversions and made sure the GCLID field is not empty, but still, nothing was showing up on Google Ads' side. 

Four Conversions & their associated stage values:

1. Prospecting: NEW - Uncontacted Lead, UNC - UNC, INTL - International Lead

2. Qualification: CONT - Contacted

3. Closed-won: ENR - Enr/Accept by Reg, START - Started program, REST - Restart Program, PGRD - Pre-Grad, GRAD - Grad

4. CLosed-lost: ENRD - Enrolled drop, NOST - Did not start prog

The Google rep helped us create two test conversions inside of Google Ads: 

• Native Marketo Test 1
  • Native Marketo Test 2

Test Record Example (nothing was showing up in Google Ads after the revenue stage changed)

IMG_6947.JPG

Transition rule from Prospecting -> Qualification as an example:

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 9.00.08 PM.png

Any insights on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Google Ads - Marketo Native Integration Not Working

• Native Marketo Test 1
  • Native Marketo Test 2

Just as an FYI, you can also create Google AdWords custom conversion stages directly from Marketo (select Revenue Stage in Marketo RCM Modeler > Stage Actions > Set AdWords Conversion > +New Conversion.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1696400991005.png

Also, if you haven't already, you can also use the AdWords' Custom Columns feature to create conversion count columns for each offline conversion you import from Marketo. 

If you still don't see the data:

• Re-check the launchpoint service for any obvious errors (integration failures).
  • Make sure the Send Frequency was set correctly when the service was created (in case the Frequency is set to Weekly, you'll not see data the immediate next day in AdWords).
  • Check if you're able to Download the Activity log from the service in the Launchpoint, this will help you verify whether the conversion data is being sent from Marketo to Google AdWords.
    • If the data is flowing from Marketo, but you see continual AdWords errors with 'invalid user', it could be the case that you have multiple Google Ads accounts and you'd need to create My Client Center (MCC) since a GCLID on a record can already be attributed to a user not authorized in the account you linked to the Marketo integration.

Hope you find this helpful.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

• Native Marketo Test 1
  • Native Marketo Test 2

Just as an FYI, you can also create Google AdWords custom conversion stages directly from Marketo (select Revenue Stage in Marketo RCM Modeler > Stage Actions > Set AdWords Conversion > +New Conversion.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1696400991005.png

Also, if you haven't already, you can also use the AdWords' Custom Columns feature to create conversion count columns for each offline conversion you import from Marketo. 

If you still don't see the data:

• Re-check the launchpoint service for any obvious errors (integration failures).
  • Make sure the Send Frequency was set correctly when the service was created (in case the Frequency is set to Weekly, you'll not see data the immediate next day in AdWords).
  • Check if you're able to Download the Activity log from the service in the Launchpoint, this will help you verify whether the conversion data is being sent from Marketo to Google AdWords.
    • If the data is flowing from Marketo, but you see continual AdWords errors with 'invalid user', it could be the case that you have multiple Google Ads accounts and you'd need to create My Client Center (MCC) since a GCLID on a record can already be attributed to a user not authorized in the account you linked to the Marketo integration.

Hope you find this helpful.

MAC001
Level 1

Hi Darshil,

Thanks a lot for your response! The integration works fine. The Send Frequency was set to daily, and we checked 24 hrs after a contact's revenue stage change. There's no option under Details where it says I can download the activity log from LaunchPoint to check.

However, we tried to create a new custom conversion stage directly from Marketo, and we can see the conversion stage is showing up inside Google Ads, which signifies that the data is being pushed into Google Ads from Marketo (just an assumption, more tests are needed). 

I will do more tests to confirm the sync is working. 

Thanks again!

Anna_Blanchet1
Level 4

Hi Darshil,

We are also in the process of activating the Google Adwords Launchpoint integration and I've been receiving alert emails:

Web Services: Google AdWords Warning

Why: Marketo is unable to log into your Google AdWords account

What to do now?
Download Error Log and contact Google AdWords support

Error details:
Activity Sent : 5
Successful : 0
Failed : 5

Clicking the link in the email produces a dead link. I've been working with our ad agency and Google Adwords Support and they are not seeing the data in Google Adwords yet.  Any ideas on what might be the issue here?