Re: Gmail / OutLook Plugin and Unsubscribes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmail / OutLook Plugin and Unsubscribes

Can anyone tell me if the Gmail Plugin honors unsubscribes? I tested and it does not appear to.

-David

2 REPLIES 2
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

No, it doesn't.

The Gmail and Outlook plugins allow you to do the following:

• Pre-fill an email you are writing with a sales insight template.
  • Add Marketo tracking information to an email you are writing so that it is tracked in Marketo. It will also convert links to Marketo tracking links so that clicks can be tracked (note: in Gmail, the link must be inserted with "Insert Link" button, otherwise we won't know a link is present).

And that is it! Once, you choose to make the email tracked and/or pre-fill it with some text, Marketo's work is done. Outlook and Gmail control the actual sending of the email. They will not ping Marketo when you press "Send" to see if the person on the "To" line is set to unsubscribed=true in the Marketo lead database. There is no way for a plugin to disallow Gmail/Outlook from sending to an address.

What we could do is do a check of the lead database when you click "Send" and then at least prompt you to avoid sending the message. There is no way to fully prevent the user from sending the email, but it may be a nice warning for the sales user. Add an idea if you think that would be cool.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'm pretty sure that it's not going to honor the unsub=true because the Salesperson is sending the email, not the mass email. We could argue if that's proper (and only in the US it is), but I'm pretty sure that's why it does that.

I believe that if you do this via MSI in SFDC, it does honor the unsub because it is coming from Marketo directly.