SOLVED

Re: Form submission - capping registrations

Go to solution
Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

Form submission - capping registrations

We have a (registration) form that we are using as part of an event.  Is there any Marketo Automation that would:

1) cap registration - in other words would not allow registration submissions once the count has reached X and the ability to submit registrations would be deactivate

2) we could add secondary message (visibility) so that when the registration reached X a secondary "sorry the event is full" message would pull into the form

Right now we watch the "smart list" registration report for the numbers and do a manual work around on this.  But I'm wondering if there's an automated way of achieving this in Marketo.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

if you search the community for "cap registrations", you will find a lot of similar questions and a couple of ideas to vote for, such as this one: . Look here as well.

The short answer is that there is no Marketo feature for this, so you will have to use a webhook platform such as:

-Greg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

if you search the community for "cap registrations", you will find a lot of similar questions and a couple of ideas to vote for, such as this one: . Look here as well.

The short answer is that there is no Marketo feature for this, so you will have to use a webhook platform such as:

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thanks, Greg. Jamie you can do this with FlowBoost Community (i.e. Free) Edition as well.

On the webhook side, adding a lead to an event counter is as simple as

FBCounter.add('event_123/{{Lead.Id}}', '{{Lead.Email Address}}')

The key here (literally) is the Lead ID. Including the email address, first/last name or other metadata about the lead is optional, but keying on the ID is critical for management. (If you keep email dupes in your instance, as some users do, you don't want to confuse two people who share the same email.)

While you can check the difference between the registration cap and the current count while registering the lead, you don't necessarily need to (unless you want to send an internal alert) so the above may be all you need in Marketo itself. To suppress a form/redirect when the cap is exceeded, that's all in the browser:

<script>

function checkRegCount(current){

if (current.count <= {{my.registrationCap}}) {

// call standard MktoForms2.loadForm(), etc.

} else {

// redirect to 'Event Full' page, load a 'Wait List' form, show/hide content, etc.

}     

}

</script>

<script src="https://api.figureone.com/fbcounter_v1/counter/event_123/count?cb=checkRegCount&public-api-key=a1b2c...">

</script>

Note I'm using a {{my.token}} to store the registration cap -- very convenient when using Marketo LPs, since you can raise or lower the cap instantly. On a non-Marketo page, you could hard-code the cap in the code (current.count <= 25).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg for the mention.

Jamie, see if the following articles can help you. They describe how webhooks can be used to 'cap registrations' on a Marketo form.

Marketo Magic: Automatically Cap Registrations For Any Marketo Form. Part - II | LinkedIn

Marketo Magic: Automatically Cap Registrations For Any Marketo Form. Part - I | LinkedIn

Hope this helps

Rajesh Talele

Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

So frustrating the lengths we still need to go to in order to achieve this. I brought this up (again) in the product management session this year but it's not on the roadmap. There are some very good signs towards it though, such as scheduling the expiry of assets that is on the roadmap, that makes me feel like the new GUI might get us some of the way there. Everyone who wants this please vote for the idea Greg indicated above. I've been begging for this feature for years.

Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

So this gets more complex.  We have one form with 6 different event options.  We want to camp each location at 30 - vs. the total.  If we used Webhooks would that solve to cap each event (within the form) or would it be the total registrations (i.e., 6 x 30 = 180).

Thank you

SanfordWhiteman

So this gets more complex. We have one form with 6 different event options. We want to camp each location at 30 - vs. the total. If we used Webhooks would that solve to cap each event (within the form) or would it be the total registrations (i.e., 6 x 30 = 180).

No problem. Each sub-event (event location) can be a different counted event! You could even cap both the event and sub-events, like 30 registrations for each location or 150 total registrations, whichever happens sooner.

Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

Thank you so much... so I guess I'll look into adding BrightHooks by reaching out the contact below.

Is that the best approach?

SanfordWhiteman

Is that the best approach?

Well, naturally FlowBoost would be my recommendation, being that it's our platform and all. 

Note FBCounter is purpose-built for this kind of scenario, and it can be used with a FlowBoost Community key.