Re: Form not recognizing web page URL

Kim_Koserski
Level 1

Form not recognizing web page URL

Hello! We're encountering an issue with a form on one of our web pages. I want to switch it to a global form, but am unable to because the form isn't recognizing what URL it's being filled out on. In the activity log, Marketo populates the Interesting Moment with: "Filled Out Form: (campaign.name) on" (where usually the URL would follow), and 'Fill Out Form' with the webpage ID = 0 and the referrer URL = blank.

Has anyone ever experienced this error before or could point us in the right direction to investigate potential solutions?

This is the page and form in question: https://www.vidyard.com/platform/personalized-video/

Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

hi Kim,

How is your interesting moment populated? In other terms, the issues is likely in the smart campalign rather than in the page itself.

can you display here the smart list and flow of the smart campaign that creates the IM?

-Greg

Kim_Koserski
Level 1

Certainly!

Smart List = Fills out Form (trigger)

Interesting Moment Type = Web, Description = "Filled Out Form: {{trigger.Name}} on {{trigger.Web Page}}"

This smart campaign works for all our other forms except this one, which leads me to believe it's something to do with the coding on the page.

Cheers,

Kim

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The form on that page is not a Marketo form, Kim.

It's a custom form that posts to your server and then is relayed to Marketo, presumably via the /save2 endpoint (no idea why it's set up this way as it reduces your capacity to handle inbound form posts to only 30/minute across the whole instance).

So while the backend code (PHP, I can tell!) is getting the URL, it's not passing it properly to Marketo. You can't fix that on the client side.

Kim_Koserski
Level 1

Thanks for the reply Sanford. You are 100% correct. We were able to discover that issue and have our dev update the code to push the URL manually.

Here is what he did in case anyone encounters the same issue in the future:

"If you need to use Marketo webhooks to send data to Marketo via POST and the form needs to be a global form, you won't have any information regarding which page the form is being filled out on. A solution is to create a hidden field called "_mktoReferrer" inside your webhooks form to manually fill out and send the current page URL to Marketo."

SanfordWhiteman

OK, if you could mark my answer as correct, thanks...

Kim_Koserski
Level 1

I actually tried to figure out how to do that and gave up. Where would I find that option? I'm not seeing it under 'Actions' or in the sidebar to the right.

SanfordWhiteman

Eh, I don't know, I just answer questions.

Maybe open the thread by itself and it'll come up.