Re: Finding the Google Search Keyword used by a lead using Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding the Google Search Keyword used by a lead using Marketo

Hi,

Is there a way by which I could identify, the particular keyword a lead used and ended up filling any marketo form on my website during the session?

For example if a lead, searched for 'cats' and filled 'Form A' on my website and if another lead searched for 'dogs' and filled Form B, it will be helpful to see what keyword led the lead to fill a form and also to identify which keywords drive more leads to a given form?

Does anyone of you do this  currently? Any recommendations

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can do this in a variety of ways:

• Original Search Phrase is sometimes captured for new leads in the way you describe. It is a system field, it is automatic.
  • You could use utm_Keyword or another parameter in AdWords and capture it as a hidden field.
  • you could try something else with javascript.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 'original search phrase' is not actually captured when the Orginal Referrer is an Organic channel like Google. While we are building a javascript code to capture it using Adwords and for any campaigns which have UTMs, I am having trouble to find out the search phrase the user used when he comes from Google. I have been investigating this for few days and a team member pointed to me that this could be Google's encryption algorithm coming into picture, just like the way it shows 'not provided' in Google Analytics under Acquisition->All Campaigns-> Organic Keywords.

Am I missing anything here? This is something that I have been looking to resolve and would love to get thoughts from experts on this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Radul,

Did you make any progress regarding this issue?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Obtaining the keywords from an organic search have become more difficult - if not impossible - over the past couple of years.  Here are some good articles that provides more info: