Field Mapping Ownership - IT Dept./Marketing/CRM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Field Mapping Ownership - IT Dept./Marketing/CRM

I am meeting with my IT/Marketing/CRM Departments tomorrow to discuss ownership of fields.  Does anyone have any advice on which fields should be owned by Marketo vs. Salesforce?

For instance if a recipient fills out their address info on a form but we already have another address for the recipient already on file do we write over the old address or add a new 'marketing address' field for this info.  

Who should be owning which fields?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Field Mapping Ownership - IT Dept./Marketing/CRM

Generally data from SFDC should not be overwritten from Marketing system. Especially in the overwriting SFDC address information with values gathered from a web form fill out is not recommonded. I think Marketo does not overwrite information in SFDC if the value is already populated in SFDC for these kind of cases.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Field Mapping Ownership - IT Dept./Marketing/CRM

You should look at the Field Blocking option in Marketo and decide which fields can never be overwritten by Marketo. Naturally, you'd want to avoid overwriting existing SFDC values like:
  • Lead Source
  • Addresses
  • Phone
  • Title
  • Name
  • Company

Marketo can still add new values to BLANK fields.

Keep in mind that leads will enter in new info that you might want to update, so put that into your deduping plan.