SOLVED

Fewer People than Expected in Segments

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fewer People than Expected in Segments

Hello!

I've segmented the majority of the people in our instance into about 17 segments. As I created each segmentation, I made sure the number of people in each smart list was comparable to what I expected. When the segmentation approval process was complete, I had way fewer people than were originally reflected in the respective previews had indicated (for example, 2,200 versus 85,000). 

I created a draft out of the report and compared the numbers side-by-side and can't figure out why they aren't equal. 

I'm new to segments and segmentations, so this may be a rookie mistake. Thanks for your help!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Candyce_Coving1
Level 2

Re: Fewer People than Expected in Segments

Hi Maegan,
Within a given Segmenation, a lead can only be in one segment. When you are viewing the smart lists within the draft, a lead can qualify for more than one smart list. So for instance, if you have a lead that qualified for Segment 1 and Segment 3, when you are looking in the draft, they will be appear in both lists. However, when the Segmentation is approved, they will only be in the first one they qualify for (in this case, Segment 1). 

This is likely why your numbers are different. And, why the order of the Segments is very important. 
Regards,
Sheila

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Candyce_Coving1
Level 2

Hi Maegan,
Within a given Segmenation, a lead can only be in one segment. When you are viewing the smart lists within the draft, a lead can qualify for more than one smart list. So for instance, if you have a lead that qualified for Segment 1 and Segment 3, when you are looking in the draft, they will be appear in both lists. However, when the Segmentation is approved, they will only be in the first one they qualify for (in this case, Segment 1). 

This is likely why your numbers are different. And, why the order of the Segments is very important. 
Regards,
Sheila
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maegan,

From the sounds of your situation though, it may just be that all of your records are still running through the process and the best next step would just be to refresh your browser in an hour or so to see if the numbers go up.

If the numbers stay pretty static though, I would look for the records who are missing.

Keep in mind that segments work in a waterfall, and records can only be members of one at at time. Records in segment 3 can be members of 4+, but not 1 & 2.
(to view the order go to Edit Segments - you can also name the segments with their order number to make it easier)
0EM50000000T00J.png

If you want that as a report.

Start by creating a Lead Performance report with a Smart List that has the exact filters as the very first segment in your segmentation. Then group the report by the Segmentation in question. Finally clone the report for each subsiquent segment.

You will then have reports for each segment and see how many records in total qualify for each segment and which ones they currently reside in.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The above is correct. Do not expect the smart lists to equal the segmentation because of the waterfall rule.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, all! I had forgotten the rule that they could only be a member of one segment. While none of my segments should overlap, I accidentally created one that was pulling in almost everyone (preventing them from flowing in where they belonged).