Re: Feeding data from webform - overwrite remedy needed

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feeding data from webform - overwrite remedy needed

We are collecting leads on our website via a webform and feeding them into Marketo.

As I am testing the forms, I noted that the lead source (via a custom field we implemented) is being overwritten in my own lead record. If we don't overwrite the field (as another thread suggested), we miss later sign-ups.

I have been using this field to create smart lists for my emails. Some of these leads should be receiving more than one email, if they've signed up for multiple updates.

How can we work around this issue? Is there another way to implement this so that we collect all of the sources, instead of just the last or the first?
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting question! There's actually a number of questions/points in here so I'll split them out: 

"Some of these leads should be receiving more than one email, if they've signed up for multiple updates."

I would recommend NOT using the lead source field to create your smart lists for email updates. 

Instead, create checkboxes on the lead record and include a flow step in a smart campaign triggered by the form fill out to change this data value to "true". Then you can use this field to build your smart lists for your emails. 

Easy to do and more robust. 

"Is there another way to implement this so that we collect all of the sources, instead of just the last or the first?" 

Yes, but it is some work to set up. There are a few ways to crack this nut but check out this recent series of posts by Josh for some orientation: 

http://perkuto.com/blog/marketing-automation/marketing-attribution-model-for-marketing-automation#.VNJi5HB4rys
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketing-attribution-setup-checklist-1846/

Good luck!
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

I've had a similar issue with product interest. I think the easiest fix we implemented was changing the field type in SFDC, which allowed them to have multiple selected (multi-select pick list). You also have to change the field type in Marketo as well. You could try this for source; if that change is possible, you could use the filter of data value was changed within a period of time in order to capture when it was changed and what it was changed to. Hope that helps!
Nicole_Stright
Level 1

Hey Kristen,

I am running into the same issue with my product list. The field in SFDC is already multi-select pick list, what did you update the field type in Marketo to be? I have it currently set to string but it is being overwritten.

My best,

Nicole Stright

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A multi-select field will still be overwritten if the lead does not select the same values they had before.  It's not additive across form posts and sources, it simply can hold multiple values at the same time.

What you seem to be needing is a history field, which is a field that is only appended to.  You don't put it on the form, but you push values to it using the Change Data Value flow step.

Nicole_Stright
Level 1

Yeah we currently aren't doing anything on the form itself, rather doing a Change Data Value flow step based on the forms location. So there is no work around to have it within the same field then?

SanfordWhiteman

A single field that's on the form will always be overwritten by another form post, unless you have blocked updates to the field.  If you block, it's a complete block, not a partial block.  The only way to preserve old values of a field but allow updates via form post is to create a history field.

I recommend avoiding multi-valued fields and instead using multiple Boolean fields in most cases.

Nicole_Stright
Level 1

We are not using the field on a form in any way. We have a form on a specific web page, just a general global form. Then on the smart campaign we are triggering the product type to be written which is a multi-valued field in SFDC. I was hoping for a way within the smart campaign to add an option without overwriting any existing values but it sounds like it is not possible without the help of a historic field.

Thanks for your help Sanford.

SanfordWhiteman

Right, just be aware that you may be adding the same value more than once.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses.

I've identified the people whose values have switched and created a stop-gap list. That'll only last 90 days, though, so I'll have to investigate the other solutions mentioned.

Thanks!