SOLVED

Re: Expiration link in a Marketo email

Go to solution
Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Expiration link in a Marketo email

Hello All,

I’d like to create an expiration link in a Marketo email.

I’ve found this post but it’s an old post and not exactly the same need:

https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Product-Discussions/Expiration-links-in-Marketo/m-p/102169#M63692

My needs:

If the recipient clicks on the link in the email in the 3 days from the email delivery date, it will open a Landing Page A with a form.

If the recipient clicks on the link in the email after 3 days from the email delivery date, it will open a Landing Page B without a form (a kind of sorry page).

If possible, the URL of the landing page A should not be directly accessible (in case of the recipient copied the URL).

N.B: the emails are sent through a triggered campaign.

Since the last answers from the previous post, is there now a simple way to achieve these needs? (via tokens for instance?) Or a solution like HighTail is required?

Thank you.

Vincent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This is quite easy to do. You simply need to change your terms: think not in terms of expiration but eligibility.

You only need a single Landing Page.

Create a Segmentation such as

Eligibility-524a5226-ea26-4a8b-ac76-1aa4c2d305f5

that keys on a field of your choosing. For simplicity, let's say the segments are Eligible and the built-in Default segment.

Segment the container that contains the form, so it's only shown for people who are in the Eligible segment.

Set the relevant field value for the leads, then after a 3-day Wait step, empty it out.

This is not, of course, a highly secure setup but it should do fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You need a third party to help. Not aware of native functionality.

You can also manually do this by changing the LP if it's a hard schedule.

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Hi @Josh_Hill13,

Thank you for your reply.

It's a pity to not have this kind of feature in a Marketing Automation Platform.

It isn't a hard schedule, I'm trying the Sandford's solution.

Regards,

Vincent

SanfordWhiteman

This is quite easy to do. You simply need to change your terms: think not in terms of expiration but eligibility.

You only need a single Landing Page.

Create a Segmentation such as

Eligibility-524a5226-ea26-4a8b-ac76-1aa4c2d305f5

that keys on a field of your choosing. For simplicity, let's say the segments are Eligible and the built-in Default segment.

Segment the container that contains the form, so it's only shown for people who are in the Eligible segment.

Set the relevant field value for the leads, then after a 3-day Wait step, empty it out.

This is not, of course, a highly secure setup but it should do fine.

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman,

Thank you a lot for your reply. It's a good idea to use segmentation!

Let's say I'll instead use the Eligible segment for people to not display the form.  
For the Eligible segment, I was thinking of using for the smart list, the "member of list" filter instead of creating a new field but I read it's better to use a field for the segmentation.

Then, in the Landing Page, I don't see in the dynamic option how I can hide/remove the form. I tried on a guided LP and on a free-form LP. In the LP, when you make the form dynamic and want to edit the Eligible segment, how can you hide the form?

I tried to click on the form and remove it when I am in the Eligible segment but it removes the form for all segments. I also tried to hide the form section in the variables of the guided LP but the same, it hides the form for all the segments.

Should I create an empty form and choose the empty form for Eligible people?

Thank you in advance!

Vincent

SanfordWhiteman

Should I create an empty form and choose the empty form for Eligible people?

Exactly right! But also set the Known Visitor HTML (if Known Visitor, show Custom HTML) option for the Eligible people to show completely empty content.

And/or you could use CSS that's tuned to hide the Eligible form's form ID:

#mktoForm_1234 {
  display: none;
}

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman,

Ok thank you. 

I'll try that and let you know.

BR,

Vincent