SOLVED

Executable Campaign - Parent token apply on Email

Go to solution
yukotakagi1
Level 4

Executable Campaign - Parent token apply on Email

I'm trying to use an executable campaign to send out a welcome email to those who view various recorded webinars on our site.
When using an executable campaign, does my token used in email also inherit the parent value?

When I test it, the email's my-token takes the value set on the program itself, and not being overridden by the program where I'm calling this from.

What I want to do..

Call executable campaign from each of the webinar programs where we have tokens set for webinar names and urls.

Executable campaign is in another program, and email has my tokens for things like webinar names.

Flow - I use 2 execute campaign, and the one that's just value update which seems to work fine.

yukotakagi1_0-1633107806996.png

token set on parent campaign.

yukotakagi1_1-1633107836727.png

Should I just create a field that I can update in the flow before I send out an email and use that value in the token?

If anyone has good workaround, please let me know!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Executable Campaign - Parent token apply on Email

Please, open a case with support including the details of your campaign.  This is supposed to work as you expect.

View solution in original post

markfarnell
Level 2

Hi Kenny.  It might be true that inherited my.tokens are supposed to work in emails, but that is definitely not my experience or Support's understanding.  Appreciate your input here as if they can work it would make things a simpler.  @yukotakagi1 's suggestion to move the my.token to a lead.token (you may need to create a new field for this) does work, and doesn't create a lot of admin since you can make that update in the executable campaign flow rather than the parent campaign, providing your send email step is after your flow step to update the lead.token.  This is working well for me.

yukotakagi1
Level 4

I worked on this with support and wanted to give updates to the community.

Parent my token will not pass to the emails but the program token will.

So if it is something like program name or program description, you can plug it into emails.

11 REPLIES 11
adrianfraguela
Level 3

@yukotakagi1 are you doing "live" tests as in actually running through the programs as if you had viewed one of the webinars? 

If you're sending samples it wouldn't use the context of the program that is calling the executable campaign.

yukotakagi1
Level 4

Yes I did the "live" test. I've set it all up in prod, then just added smart list so that only my email address (or the variation of) would go through it to test. 

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Please, open a case with support including the details of your campaign.  This is supposed to work as you expect.

markfarnell
Level 2

I had some feedback from Marketo on this via a similar case we were working on:

'The ''Use Parent Campaign'' context allows you to use the parent Campaign my tokens in the FLOW Steps of the Executed campaign. Not in the Emails of the Executed Campaign.

If you can get the value to move from the my.token to a lead.token via the flow, then I can't see why this wouldn't work tho; could be an interesting workaround.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

This is not true, Mark.  Inherited tokens in executable campaigns are supposed to work in Emails.

yukotakagi1
Level 4

I'm currently working through this with the support to get a clear answer on this but currently what @markfarnell is describing is how things are working for me. 

markfarnell
Level 2

Hi Kenny.  It might be true that inherited my.tokens are supposed to work in emails, but that is definitely not my experience or Support's understanding.  Appreciate your input here as if they can work it would make things a simpler.  @yukotakagi1 's suggestion to move the my.token to a lead.token (you may need to create a new field for this) does work, and doesn't create a lot of admin since you can make that update in the executable campaign flow rather than the parent campaign, providing your send email step is after your flow step to update the lead.token.  This is working well for me.

yukotakagi1
Level 4

I worked on this with support and wanted to give updates to the community.

Parent my token will not pass to the emails but the program token will.

So if it is something like program name or program description, you can plug it into emails.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Thanks for following up on this with Marketo Support!

I find this mildly concerning, as I certainly would have expected the token environment to be handed down to the exec campaign for all potential uses. If I had to guess the reason, I'd say that executable campaigns are not supposed to send emails.