SOLVED

Re: Excluding Category 1 Bounces from Marketing Ineligibility

Go to solution
Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Excluding Category 1 Bounces from Marketing Ineligibility

Category 1 Bounces, though record as Hard Bounce, but still are temporary - would it be fine to actually exclude this category from exclusion lists (lists which have records with some negative filters - e.g. bounced, invalid, unsubscribed etc)

Balkar_Singh_0-1612961654115.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Hi Balkar, it looks like Marketo will set these category 1 hard bounces as Email Suspended = true which has an effect for 24 hours (though the field will never be changed back to false). Marketo won't try to send an email to these people during that 24-hour period, but will try on future emails after that time. Depending on how you're using the exclusion list, you could potentially put a filter for "Email Suspended at in past 24 hours" to capture people who are currently unemailable.

View solution in original post

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Beth,

As far as I know that does not apply to all the cat1 bounces, only the ones marked as spam. There can also be server issues at the root cause of cat1 bounces. I tend to go a level deeper in my follow ups based on the bounce details. I have actually used this extremely useful blog and created my own version of the process and built some follow ups on it: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Knowledgebase/Maintaining-a-Directory-of-Leads-Bouncing-Emails/ta-p/25...

Kind regards,
Katja

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Hi Balkar, it looks like Marketo will set these category 1 hard bounces as Email Suspended = true which has an effect for 24 hours (though the field will never be changed back to false). Marketo won't try to send an email to these people during that 24-hour period, but will try on future emails after that time. Depending on how you're using the exclusion list, you could potentially put a filter for "Email Suspended at in past 24 hours" to capture people who are currently unemailable.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Beth,

As far as I know that does not apply to all the cat1 bounces, only the ones marked as spam. There can also be server issues at the root cause of cat1 bounces. I tend to go a level deeper in my follow ups based on the bounce details. I have actually used this extremely useful blog and created my own version of the process and built some follow ups on it: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Knowledgebase/Maintaining-a-Directory-of-Leads-Bouncing-Emails/ta-p/25...

Kind regards,
Katja

Scout4U
Level 2

Functional URL for Blog recommendation Re: Excluding Category 1 Bounces from Marketing Ineligibility

Hi Katja, 
The url that you recommended as a very useful blog threw an error. But this one works.

https://nation.marketo.com/t5/knowledgebase/maintaining-a-directory-of-leads-bouncing-emails/ta-p/30...

Thank you 🤓

Scout4U