SOLVED

Event registration: option to add colleagues

Go to solution
Franky_Ruyssch2
Level 4

Event registration: option to add colleagues

I need to build a form to allow people to subscribe for an event, with the option that someone can subscribe 5 extra colleagues as well.

What would be the best process for this? Do I need to create sufficient fields in the backend? ( I need First Name, Last Name, email )
What happens when someone has been added as extra? Will the extra person be created automatically in the database as a lead? Will I be able to send some emails?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Franky Ruysschaert
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Event registration: option to add colleagues

You can build a referral form that lets the filler-outer (the Referrer) add multiple additional emails (Referrals).

The Referrals are added as additional leads to your database, like any other lead. And they can have a field that points back to the person who referred them.

Of course, Michael's objection is solid. But merely merging someone into your database (if not in the EU) isn't illegal in itself. After all, you may not be emailing them but rather sending them over to sales first. Or they may already be in your db and you just want to tie them to a referrer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Michael_Florin
Level 10

First of all, I would consider pushing back on this request. The extra people somebody adds have not given explicit consent to receive emails, which I think should be mandatory before you add somebody to the database. Rather use a "forward to friend" function or just encourage your recipient to forward the invitation email to colleagues.

That said: A form submit is tied to the person that enters their email in the "Email Address" field. If you have additional fields on your form - First Name 1, Last Name 1, Email Address 1 and so on - these values would only be written into Custom Fields onto your primary recipient's record. So these "people" would not be records in your database and you couldn't email to them. You would first need to transform these field values into actual Marketo records.

And yes, you can only email to Marketo database records. Not to email addresses that just exist in any custom field.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can build a referral form that lets the filler-outer (the Referrer) add multiple additional emails (Referrals).

The Referrals are added as additional leads to your database, like any other lead. And they can have a field that points back to the person who referred them.

Of course, Michael's objection is solid. But merely merging someone into your database (if not in the EU) isn't illegal in itself. After all, you may not be emailing them but rather sending them over to sales first. Or they may already be in your db and you just want to tie them to a referrer.