SOLVED

Engagement Program Questions with T-minus 2 days till Campaign Launch

Go to solution
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Engagement Program Questions with T-minus 2 days till Campaign Launch

Hi Community,

We are launching a big marketing initiative in two days (yes two days!) and I have been testing using embedded smart campaigns in an Engagement program like crazy.

A few questions have arisen: 

1. With emails embedded in the Engagement program, is it possible to disable communication limits? For example, with a smart campaign I can uncheck “Block non-operational emails”. Is this possible with an Engagement program? In testing I noticed that anyone who I had previously been sent an email and had reached our communication limits was skipped. 

Guitarrista82_27-1692157053824.png 

Guitarrista82_28-1692157053829.png

2. Related to my question above, it appears that even a cast with a wait step campaign embedded will skip someone who’s exceeded their communication limits for the week. Is this accurate? 
    Guitarrista82_29-1692157053832.png

This would potentially be an issue because our goal is to try and send as close to equal a number of emails per Engagement stream as possible every 30 days and frequent skipping of a cast could hamper this. 

3. What is the best way to add more content to an Engagement program? For example, if we were to embed a campaign that includes a combination of wait steps and email sends, would it be best to add any new emails to the bottom of the smart campaign? Or would it be better to create a new smart campaign with fresh emails and wait steps in the default program and then embed that campaign in the Engagement program flow?

If we went the route of embedding a new smart campaign, what would be required to ensure that people will go through this new campaign after they’ve gone through the previous campaign? Would it be best to add a “Request campaign” flow step to the first campaign?

Guitarrista82_30-1692157053833.png

4. Can you please confirm that if we embed an email directly in an Engagement program stream and then embed that same email in another stream that a person can only receive it once in the program? A key aspect of our marketing initiative is to have 6 email streams set up wherein a customer will receive 6 emails within each stream over 180 days and at some point can be added to another stream containing the same emails, but in a different arrangement.  

It also appears that I can’t embed the same smart campaign twice in a flow as it results in the warning below: 

Guitarrista82_31-1692157053834.png 

5. When embedding smart campaigns that include email sends and wait steps in an Engagement program stream, is it better to not set the Stream Cadence since the smart campaigns need to be run separately anyway? What about when embedding wait step campaigns mixed with embedded emails? In testing the latter after setting a stream cadence, I noticed that if someone hit their communication limits, the wait step cadence will be skipped in addition to any embedded email content. 

Guitarrista82_32-1692157053835.png

6. If we wanted to pause someone who’s in a smart campaign wherein the flow is a mix of wait steps and email sends and this campaign is embedded within an engagement program, how would this work? Even if we "paused" their engagement cadence, would they still continue to receive the next email in the flow?  For example, we want to pause emails to someone who has recently made a purchase. Would simply pausing them in the Engagement stream keep them from getting the remaining emails, or would we have to remove them from the smart campaign flow?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

LK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Engagement Program Questions with T-minus 2 days till Campaign Launch

@Guitarrista82 wrote:

Hi Community,

We are launching a big marketing initiative in two days (yes two days!) and I have been testing using embedded smart campaigns in an Engagement program like crazy.

1. With emails embedded in the Engagement program, is it possible to disable communication limits? For example, with a smart campaign I can uncheck “Block non-operational emails”. Is this possible with an Engagement program? In testing I noticed that anyone who I had previously been sent an email and had reached our communication limits was skipped. 

Well, Engagement programs are meant for sending marketing, i.e., non-operational emails, and they perform the Marketability and communication limit checks for all the members with the normal cadence before every time the cast is deployed irrespective of the content being added as Default nested programs or email assets. Even if you have the communication limits set to not block non-operational emails when the person reaches their communication limits at the smart campaign level that is used to send the nurture content via the nested default program, Marketo would still not send out the emails. With the Engagement program, if the person has reached their communication limits or isn't marketable, the person would not receive emails from it.

1. Related to my question above, it appears that even a cast with a wait step campaign embedded will skip someone who’s exceeded their communication limits for the week. Is this accurate? 

This would potentially be an issue because our goal is to try and send as close to equal a number of emails per Engagement stream as possible every 30 days and frequent skipping of a cast could hamper this. 

I'd question the need for the Wait step in the send nurture email smart campaign within the nested default program you've used in the engagement program. When a person isn't eligible to be sent nurture email for reasons such as being non-marketable/communication limits reached, they'd not skip the respective content in the next case, Marketo would send them the first un-sent content in the next cast when they become eligible (i.e., marketable/upon communication limits reset). Also, to answer your question, yes, as mentioned above in Q1's response, if a person isn't marketable/has reached communication limits, they'd not be sent emails from the engagement program (they'd be skipped in the cast). EP checks this every time the content is being sent from it.

1. What is the best way to add more content to an Engagement program? For example, if we were to embed a campaign that includes a combination of wait steps and email sends, would it be best to add any new emails to the bottom of the smart campaign? Or would it be better to create a new smart campaign with fresh emails and wait steps in the default program and then embed that campaign in the Engagement program flow?

If we went the route of embedding a new smart campaign, what would be required to ensure that people will go through this new campaign after they’ve gone through the previous campaign? Would it be best to add a “Request campaign” flow step to the first campaign?

Well, technically you could add content at any place in the stream. However, the higher-up you add content more likely that people in that engagement program stream during the cast would receive it. Marketo's EP checks for the first un-sent content to stream members at the time of cast. So if you add the new content piece at the top of the stream all the members in that stream would be sent that new piece of content (of course, given that they're marketable, their cadence is un-paused, and haven't reached their communication limits). Conversely, if you add content at the bottom of the stream, members would not be sent that content piece until they've been sent all the other content pieces above it. You don't need any Request Campaign flows to ensure the next in line content is being considered for send by the Enagegment program. EP has built in logic to send the content in the order they're added to the stream.

1. Can you please confirm that if we embed an email directly in an Engagement program stream and then embed that same email in another stream that a person can only receive it once in the program? A key aspect of our marketing initiative is to have 6 email streams set up wherein a customer will receive 6 emails within each stream over 180 days and at some point can be added to another stream containing the same emails, but in a different arrangement.  

It also appears that I can’t embed the same smart campaign twice in a flow as it results in the warning below: 

Yes, even if you have the same content pieces (nested default program/email asset) added in multiple streams of the same engagement program, Marketo would only send it to a person 1x. With the email assets, Marketo would skip sending the content even if the person has been sent the same email previously (from any program/campaign flow). With the nested default program, Marketo would skip sending the content piece if the person is already a member of it (nested default program) or was sent content from it previously. You should check out this experience league product documentation. If you want to resend something, it’s safest to create a new program and smart campaign. Also, to avoid confusion, I'd rather use the engagement program stream and not the flow, as the latter is used in the smart campaign's context. Lastly, yes, you're not able to add the same content piece more than 1x in the single stream of an Engagement program.

1. When embedding smart campaigns that include email sends and wait steps in an Engagement program stream, is it better to not set the Stream Cadence since the smart campaigns need to be run separately anyway? What about when embedding wait step campaigns mixed with embedded emails? In testing the latter after setting a stream cadence, I noticed that if someone hit their communication limits, the wait step cadence will be skipped in addition to any embedded email content. 

You must set the cadence at the stream level for sending out the content from the engagement program irrespective of what type of content (email assets/nested default program) you're using in the stream. There's no need to schedule the batch campaigns if you are using them in the engagement stream because it will use stream cadence to run the batch campaign flow. There'd be small blue arrow pointing on the smart campaign that's been used in the engagement program for content send indicating that they'd be requested by EP at the time of send. Also, I stil have questions about the need of using wait steps in the send email campaigns within the nested default program. 🙂

1. If we wanted to pause someone who’s in a smart campaign wherein the flow is a mix of wait steps and email sends and this campaign is embedded within an engagement program, how would this work? Even if we "paused" their engagement cadence, would they still continue to receive the next email in the flow?  For example, we want to pause emails to someone who has recently made a purchase. Would simply pausing them in the Engagement stream keep them from getting the remaining emails, or would we have to remove them from the smart campaign flow?

Pausing people from the enagagement program would only stop them from being sent the content in the next case, any content that was sent in the previous cast, but is held off (due to wait step, etc.) would still go out IMO as the person has already been requested the send nurture campaign while their cadence was un-paused. Using wait steps in the send nurture email campaigns could be confusing (and could be a source of such errorenous sends). In this case, you'd want also want to remove people from the smart campaign's flow along with pausing their nurture cadences so as to ensure that they don't receive email from the camapign which has already been requested in the previous cast but the person is still in the wait step. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that when their cadence is updated back to the Normal state, they'll be sent the next content in the line as to Marketo' EP the previous send content campaign was already requested and sent even though techincally person wasn't sent that email as they were removed from the flow while in the wait step.

All the best with your launch! I hope you find the above insights useful. Let us know if you have any more quesitons. 🙂

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Darshil_Shah1

@Guitarrista82 wrote:

Hi Community,

Well, Engagement programs are meant for sending marketing, i.e., non-operational emails, and they perform the Marketability and communication limit checks for all the members with the normal cadence before every time the cast is deployed irrespective of the content being added as Default nested programs or email assets. Even if you have the communication limits set to not block non-operational emails when the person reaches their communication limits at the smart campaign level that is used to send the nurture content via the nested default program, Marketo would still not send out the emails. With the Engagement program, if the person has reached their communication limits or isn't marketable, the person would not receive emails from it.

1. Related to my question above, it appears that even a cast with a wait step campaign embedded will skip someone who’s exceeded their communication limits for the week. Is this accurate? 

I'd question the need for the Wait step in the send nurture email smart campaign within the nested default program you've used in the engagement program. When a person isn't eligible to be sent nurture email for reasons such as being non-marketable/communication limits reached, they'd not skip the respective content in the next case, Marketo would send them the first un-sent content in the next cast when they become eligible (i.e., marketable/upon communication limits reset). Also, to answer your question, yes, as mentioned above in Q1's response, if a person isn't marketable/has reached communication limits, they'd not be sent emails from the engagement program (they'd be skipped in the cast). EP checks this every time the content is being sent from it.

1. What is the best way to add more content to an Engagement program? For example, if we were to embed a campaign that includes a combination of wait steps and email sends, would it be best to add any new emails to the bottom of the smart campaign? Or would it be better to create a new smart campaign with fresh emails and wait steps in the default program and then embed that campaign in the Engagement program flow?

Well, technically you could add content at any place in the stream. However, the higher-up you add content more likely that people in that engagement program stream during the cast would receive it. Marketo's EP checks for the first un-sent content to stream members at the time of cast. So if you add the new content piece at the top of the stream all the members in that stream would be sent that new piece of content (of course, given that they're marketable, their cadence is un-paused, and haven't reached their communication limits). Conversely, if you add content at the bottom of the stream, members would not be sent that content piece until they've been sent all the other content pieces above it. You don't need any Request Campaign flows to ensure the next in line content is being considered for send by the Enagegment program. EP has built in logic to send the content in the order they're added to the stream.

1. Can you please confirm that if we embed an email directly in an Engagement program stream and then embed that same email in another stream that a person can only receive it once in the program? A key aspect of our marketing initiative is to have 6 email streams set up wherein a customer will receive 6 emails within each stream over 180 days and at some point can be added to another stream containing the same emails, but in a different arrangement.  

Yes, even if you have the same content pieces (nested default program/email asset) added in multiple streams of the same engagement program, Marketo would only send it to a person 1x. With the email assets, Marketo would skip sending the content even if the person has been sent the same email previously (from any program/campaign flow). With the nested default program, Marketo would skip sending the content piece if the person is already a member of it (nested default program) or was sent content from it previously. You should check out this experience league product documentation. If you want to resend something, it’s safest to create a new program and smart campaign. Also, to avoid confusion, I'd rather use the engagement program stream and not the flow, as the latter is used in the smart campaign's context. Lastly, yes, you're not able to add the same content piece more than 1x in the single stream of an Engagement program.

1. When embedding smart campaigns that include email sends and wait steps in an Engagement program stream, is it better to not set the Stream Cadence since the smart campaigns need to be run separately anyway? What about when embedding wait step campaigns mixed with embedded emails? In testing the latter after setting a stream cadence, I noticed that if someone hit their communication limits, the wait step cadence will be skipped in addition to any embedded email content. 

You must set the cadence at the stream level for sending out the content from the engagement program irrespective of what type of content (email assets/nested default program) you're using in the stream. There's no need to schedule the batch campaigns if you are using them in the engagement stream because it will use stream cadence to run the batch campaign flow. There'd be small blue arrow pointing on the smart campaign that's been used in the engagement program for content send indicating that they'd be requested by EP at the time of send. Also, I stil have questions about the need of using wait steps in the send email campaigns within the nested default program. 🙂

1. If we wanted to pause someone who’s in a smart campaign wherein the flow is a mix of wait steps and email sends and this campaign is embedded within an engagement program, how would this work? Even if we "paused" their engagement cadence, would they still continue to receive the next email in the flow?  For example, we want to pause emails to someone who has recently made a purchase. Would simply pausing them in the Engagement stream keep them from getting the remaining emails, or would we have to remove them from the smart campaign flow?

Pausing people from the enagagement program would only stop them from being sent the content in the next case, any content that was sent in the previous cast, but is held off (due to wait step, etc.) would still go out IMO as the person has already been requested the send nurture campaign while their cadence was un-paused. Using wait steps in the send nurture email campaigns could be confusing (and could be a source of such errorenous sends). In this case, you'd want also want to remove people from the smart campaign's flow along with pausing their nurture cadences so as to ensure that they don't receive email from the camapign which has already been requested in the previous cast but the person is still in the wait step. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that when their cadence is updated back to the Normal state, they'll be sent the next content in the line as to Marketo' EP the previous send content campaign was already requested and sent even though techincally person wasn't sent that email as they were removed from the flow while in the wait step.

All the best with your launch! I hope you find the above insights useful. Let us know if you have any more quesitons. 🙂

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Thank you so much Darshil! I haven't used EPs for a LONG time so this has been a learning experience for me.

While I definitely agree that using the EP's built-in stream cadence is the best way to go, the marketing team prefers to run more restrictive scheduling, i.e., send the email every 30 days, Mon-Fri AND wait must end at 9 am. This is where the EP's built-in cadence wouldn't work, hence why we're embedding the smart campaigns. But to confirm, do you recommend still setting the EP stream cadence, perhaps to daily, per your comment below?

You must set the cadence at the stream level for sending out the content from the engagement program irrespective of what type of content (email assets/nested default program) you're using in the stream. 

And then, regarding your comment below, I did try setting just the stream cadence while using the embedded smart campaigns, and they did show the arrow as you indicated, but the emails were never cast. The smart campaigns were not created in the EP so perhaps that's why they didn't run?

To confirm, if I were to set the stream cadence to Daily and the time to run every day at 9 am, does this mean that this is when the smart campaign would be called and would fire off the flow steps in the campaign?

Guitarrista82_0-1692207414582.png

There's no need to schedule the batch campaigns if you are using them in the engagement stream because it will use stream cadence to run the batch campaign flow. There'd be small blue arrow pointing on the smart campaign that's been used in the engagement program for content send indicating that they'd be requested by EP at the time of send. 

I will have more questions, but still working on those.

Thanks,

LK

Darshil_Shah1

Why don't you set the EP stream to run M-F 9 AM, and have a smart campaign that changes the engagement program cadence of people who received content from the EP to the Paused state, adds them to the wait step of 30 days that must end on M-F at a time little before 9 AM, and then changes the cadence back to the Normal state. I believe this should technically enable you to pull the ask of your strategy team.

And then, regarding your comment below, I did try setting just the stream cadence while using the embedded smart campaigns, and they did show the arrow as you indicated, but the emails were never cast. The smart campaigns were not created in the EP so perhaps that's why they didn't run?

Nope, there's no such need for the default programs to be housed within the engagement program locally, plenty of use cases benefit from keeping the default programs being used in the engagement programs out of them. What do you see in the person's activity log? Also, while testing EP streams you can use the Engagement program's OOTB Test Stream functionality instead of setting a cast, and then waiting for the EP to deploy emails. Also, if you're using nested default programs, please make sure you're using a Member of Engagement Program filter in your smart list. 🙂

To confirm, if I were to set the stream cadence to Daily and the time to run every day at 9 am, does this mean that this is when the smart campaign would be called and would fire off the flow steps in the campaign?

Yes - smart campaigns selected while adding the nested default programs would be requested for the people slated to receive that content at the time of the cast! 🙂

I will have more questions, but still working on those.

Cool! Bring it on - always on my toes to help the Marketo community in all the ways I can.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Thank you for responding to my latest questions!

With regard to your suggestion below, what would this look like in terms of each EP stream? I'm concerned about adding an email directly in each stream because we will want to send them the same emails when they are moved to the next stream and the EP will not allow us to do that. So would we have to set up a smart campaign for each email that includes a flow step to change the EP cadence to paused? The only problem with this is how do we set the criteria in the smart campaign smart list to ensure the right people get each email as this same smart campaign would be added to each of the EP streams?

This is the configuration I'm thinking of (but for all streams):

Guitarrista82_0-1692216329794.png

Each program contains a smart campaign to send each of the 6 emails.

Here's an example of the Smart List for each campaign and the Flow:

Guitarrista82_1-1692216398412.png

Guitarrista82_2-1692216412839.png

Do you see any potential issues with this or would this work? 

Will people who received the emails from each of these campaigns in EP Stream 1 be able to receive the same emails from the same campaigns in EP Stream 2?

Thank you again,

LK

Why don't you set the EP stream to run M-F 9 AM, and have a smart campaign that changes the engagement program cadence of people who received content from the EP to the Paused state, adds them to the wait step of 30 days that must end on M-F at a time little before 9 AM, and then changes the cadence back to the Normal state. I believe this should technically enable you to pull the ask of your strategy team.

Darshil_Shah1

I'd recommend creating separate content offer programs and smart campaigns (or even email assets if you/people who are reading this thread using them instead) in order to send the same content 2x.

When using a nested program, the decision to send an email to a person is based on the program membership and program ID.

• If you’re not a member of a program, you will receive any emails that are part of the program once
  • If you’re a member of the program, you won’t receive the email
  • If you are no longer a member but received the email earlier through that program, you won’t receive the email

A couple of recommendations from my end by looking at the snapshots above:

1. Instead of adding steps to change EP cadence to Pause - Wait 30 days - change EP cadence to Normal separately to each send campaign, why don't you create a request-able trigger campaign with these steps, and then request it from each send campaign after the Send Email flow step?
  2. Also, instead of complicating the campaign smart list logic, I'd rather organize content in such a way that content with similar filtering conditions for the audience is housed in the same stream, so a campaign that adds people to the correct stream could take care of those filters instead of having them in send email smart campaigns. I like my send email smart campaigns (specifically for nurture) to be as simple as possible.
Guitarrista82
Level 6

I set up another EP test.

I have each email campaign in its own Default program. I embedded each program into two streams and set the stream cadences to run Mon-Fri starting at 2:20pm.

I set up a Wait Steps request campaign, as you recommended, and added the request campaign flow step to each email campaign.

This is how the email campaign appears with the request campaign flow step:

Guitarrista82_6-1692223132043.png

This is how the requested campaign flow appears:

Guitarrista82_8-1692223164482.png

I then added a test contact using the Test Stream option.

Guitarrista82_1-1692222048613.png

Guitarrista82_3-1692222243072.png

Here are the results of this test:

Guitarrista82_2-1692222213571.png

So it immediately sent the email, which is good and then used the Wait Steps request campaign to pause the test account. Then sent the CCL email at 2:20. However, I had set the Wait Steps campaign to pause again, wait 5 minutes and then set to normal:

Guitarrista82_8-1692223164482.png

Would the next step be that the stream cast will run again tomorrow and I will get the next email?

Guitarrista82_0-1692221967597.png

Darshil_Shah1

As a rule of thumb, if the person’s cadence gets updated back to the Normal state before the next cast and person is marketable and hasn’t reached their communication limits, then yes the person would be sent email from the engagement program in the next cast. You should add the numbers of days you wish to have between 2 content sends in the wait step with the advanced wait properties set so the person comes out of it at the desired day/time after completing the wait time period.

As I see in the activity log of your test record, the person was updated to the Normal cadence before the email cast was deployed that sent the CCL email, had the person’s cadence be Paused, then they wouldn’t have been sent the next in line email (CCL email) at 2:20 PM cast. Also, as I said above if the person’s cadence gets updated to the Normal cadence, engagement program will attempt sending the next-in-line content to them. The content will be sent of they meet the base-requirements to send the marketing email, i.e., be marketable and haven’t reached their communication limits. Hope this helps. 🙂

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Thank you Darshil! That helps.

Another question...We are at launch point now so this is urgent.

To reiterate, the configuration of my new test is that I have 6 total smart campaigns embedded in a total of 6 EP streams. So each EP stream will contain a different combination of the 6 smart campaigns.

For testing purposes, I am setting the stream cadence to run daily at 5:05 am.

The smart list of each smart campaign will be set up to grab anyone who is in the engagement program (see screenshot below) using the filter Member of Engagement is True - Program is _TEST_Big 6_6.

Test 6_smart campaign Smart List.PNG

It will then set the EP cadence to Normal, send an email, and Request a Campaign to pause the member until a certain time frame.

Test 6_smart campaign Flow.PNG

Guitarrista82_0-1692281292900.png

My question is, usually when you set criteria in a smart campaign, you want to make it very narrow. But in this case I want to use the smart campaign in multiple EP streams so I don't want to make it too narrow. Because I am not setting the campaign to run (i.e. scheduling each smart campaign) and instead am "calling" it through the EP stream cadence, should anyone who qualifies for the campaign only receive the email if they are in the specific EP stream cast? And anyone who is not in the cast to receive the email will be skipped?

Guitarrista82_1-1692281335186.png

Thank you,

LK

Darshil_Shah1

My question is, usually when you set criteria in a smart campaign, you want to make it very narrow. But in this case I want to use the smart campaign in multiple EP streams so I don't want to make it too narrow. Because I am not setting the campaign to run (i.e. scheduling each smart campaign) and instead am "calling" it through the EP stream cadence, should anyone who qualifies for the campaign only receive the email if they are in the specific EP stream cast? And anyone who is not in the cast to receive the email will be skipped?

Well, that's absolutely fine! You should techincally not over-complicate your send campaigns. Even if you're re-using this same content offer across different streams, Marketo's EP would only request the send email campaign for people who're slated to receive this content next-in-line, have Cadence set to Normal state, are marketable, and haven't reached their communication limits. Pople will not be skipped, instead the engagement program would not request this campaign for people who aren't eligible/don't have this content as next-in-line-content piece in the stream. Additionally, just to re-iterate, EP won't send content again if it's already been sent previously from a different stream. I hope this helps. Please let us know ifyou any other questions. 🙂