Re: Email Preference Center - Does Not Pre-Fill with Data From Record That Clicked in Email

Jessica_Biblis
Level 3

Email Preference Center - Does Not Pre-Fill with Data From Record That Clicked in Email

Hello,

Many of our prospects and customers have multiple email addresses in our database. As such, they are often cookied as one record and then they'll have another record that we'll send an email to.

Because of this, we're experiencing an issue. When the user clicks the unsubscribe link, they are taken to our email preference center. The data that pre-fills in the form is for that of a different record than the one to which the email was sent. So, for example, I am cookied as user1a@email.com, but I click the unsub link in an email sent to my secondary email address, which is user1b@email.com. When I hit the unsub page, I see the data for my user1a@email.com, instead of user1b@email.com.

To fix this, if the email address displayed is not the email address that they want to update, they have to log in to their account so we can re-associate the lead with their other record. This is not an ideal user experience. We do not allow them to edit the email address field.

We'd like to have the data display on the form based on the record from which they are clicking the link. It is my understanding that that is how it is supposed to work, so I'm not sure why it isn't. Here is our email preference center. Note that if you are not cookied, it will send you to the account page to sign in/create an account.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Email Preference Center - Does Not Pre-Fill with Data From Record That Clicked in Email

This has the same underlying cause as Marketo's quirky pURL behavior, and you can use my fix for that to fix this as well. Pass the {alwaysEnable:true} option as I note in the post.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Couldn't you just disable prefill and cookies on that page?

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

or do the Not You? page?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Disabling new cookies doesn't stop an existing cookie from being sent to the server, which is what causes the prob.

Disabling PreFill is, well, disabling PreFill... if it's a requirement then that won't do.

Jessica_Biblis
Level 3

Thank you, Sanford Whiteman​. I'll pass along your blog post to our dev team.