SOLVED

Re: Email opens/clicks false positives

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Email opens/clicks false positives

We are seeing a bunch of different leads from the same company (50+) "open" and "click" almost every email we send them. This is breaking lead scoring as all leads are being sent to the inside sales team to investigate.

Curious if this is something anyone's seen before? We are baffled. Support doesn't seem to know either.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Likely their email provider is crawling the email content prior to delivery. Scanning content and images in the email, and also following any links within the email.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Likely their email provider is crawling the email content prior to delivery. Scanning content and images in the email, and also following any links within the email.
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We're seeing this more and more these days. Especially in certain countries like China. In my prior company, we had this same issue with all emails sent to AT&T recipients.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm experiencing the same problems here.  

I also just found out that from a couple leads and verified by our IT team that or email tracking domain (the encoded urls in the email) is being blocked, although our landing page domain is fine.

I'm starting a little investigation to see if this is a problem with just my email traking domain being blocked (which I could potentially change, though its only been in use for ~7 months), or a widespread problem because the email scanning is detecting a different URL in the email from the URL of the landing page.

It would be great if others could also check somehow and post their findings.
Dan_Stevens_

We're finding more and more of our recipients' email servers blocking the Marketo tracking domain as well - and not our own.  It's more challenging than ever to reach our users' inbox.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Dan, what do you mean by servers blocking the tracking domain? Explain what you are seeing.

Dan_Stevens_

They're blocking mktomail.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Justin Cooperman​ - What I've seen and has been reported to me, is that the email tracking url (ie: mkto.marketo.com/agbwe0183gkbsdv) ends up either hanging indefinitely and not redirecting to the intended url (ie: pages.marketo.com/awesome-lp.html), or else there is some sort of firewall message saying the page is blocked. Very prevalent in China (they call this the"Great Firewall" or GFW)

Dan_Stevens_

We experienced this one as well with a campaign in China last month.  We thought it was something configured on our own internal firewall in China (since we have stricter rules in certain countries).  We fixed it for our internal users.  But thanks for enlightening me on this more widespread/known issue, Ray Huang

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Kiersti Esparza​ can you comment on this?