SOLVED

Re: Email Marketing Stats for an email that is sent every week

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Marketing Stats for an email that is sent every week

Hello,

We are using Perkuto Digesto to send an email every week to our blog subscribers.  This email uses tokens and then entire content is populated by the tokens.   When I run an Email performance report, we see the "First Sent Date" of the email.   I think this means if a lead is sent the email more than once the report will only show me the new sends and new opens if I set the sent date to this week.   

Am I missing a simple setting in the email performance report? or is there another report that I should be running?  In the mean time, I'm trying to use smart lists to show me how many emails were actually sent, opened, and clicked this week.  But I would like to have it in a nice report format.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Thomas
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Thomas,

This was an issue that I ran into with Marketo as well -- and a huge limitation of the system for people who send repetitive emails such as your blog email. In the end, we were advised by Marketo to create a new asset for each send, which ended up in me creating a template program and just cloning it for each week's send (we were doing it for a daily newsletter for 7 regions, so we got a little more creative with the program to avoid having to clone 35 programs a week).

In a nutshell, you've identified the problem. Marketo will only report on an email the first time that someone is sent the email, opens the email, or clicks in the email. I believe that this can be solved for in RCE, but not everyone has access to this additional module.

I believe that using a new asset for each week is the only way that you will be able to get at the reporting that you're looking to get (short of purchasing and learning RCE if you don't already have access to it). Good luck.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, that time range should work if you are using the same email asset each week. Perkuto has a doc on this I believe.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It actually doesn't work. I tried it out.  And it only shows stats if it's the first time that leads received that email.  I tried to solution and it doesn't work for me. I wonder if i'm doing something wrong.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Thomas,

This was an issue that I ran into with Marketo as well -- and a huge limitation of the system for people who send repetitive emails such as your blog email. In the end, we were advised by Marketo to create a new asset for each send, which ended up in me creating a template program and just cloning it for each week's send (we were doing it for a daily newsletter for 7 regions, so we got a little more creative with the program to avoid having to clone 35 programs a week).

In a nutshell, you've identified the problem. Marketo will only report on an email the first time that someone is sent the email, opens the email, or clicks in the email. I believe that this can be solved for in RCE, but not everyone has access to this additional module.

I believe that using a new asset for each week is the only way that you will be able to get at the reporting that you're looking to get (short of purchasing and learning RCE if you don't already have access to it). Good luck.

David_Desrosie2
Level 4

Hi Thomas, unfortunately Dory is right. I work on the team that develops Digesto and we're working to find a way around that Marketo limitation that would not involve manual work. As long as you have a new email, the counts will reset properly in your report, but it still requires that you go in there and clone your email and adjust the "send" smart campaign accordingly.

You can still find some interesting numbers from the email send Smart Campaign, if you look under the "Run History" or "Members by Week" tab, you will see each run/week with the count of qualified leads/sends. Using smartlists with a filter like "Was sent email" with a constraint on date of activity will also give you access to the list of leads in each period (but it's still missing the email performance metrics specific to each blast).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory,

I have a couple of questions regarding your mention: "In the end, we were advised by Marketo to create a new asset for each send, which ended up in me creating a template program and just cloning it for each week's send."

*The email is populated with the latest content through program tokens, right? I'm assuming that they are taking the latest information from your blog and populate it in your newsletter.

**If so, when cloning the previous email program (or maybe your program template) in order to deploy a new email, do you do any updates in the tokens?

***Is it possible to take a screenshot of your smart campaign that is pulling the information from your blog and it is populating your email/token?

***Besides the tokens, do you have implemented on your instance a webhook, right?

I would really appreciate your answers here. If you recommend me some documentation where I wan find out more about this, I would really appreciate.

ps: your answers here helped me to better understand some aspects, so thank you for your effort!

Have a great rest of the week,

Emilia

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's crazy that this issue still hasn't been addressed - a marketing automation platform that advises uses do create new assets manually...?!