Re: Editable Landing Page Template with Unknown Number of Elements

Anonymous
Not applicable

Editable Landing Page Template with Unknown Number of Elements

I am hoping to create a Marketo landing page that the client can edit. I've read the documentation, which leads me to believe that this can't be done in the landing page itself, but rather needs to be created as a template, which then a page could be created from in order to be editable. (Stating so that I may be corrected if this is not entirely accurate.)

The documentation I've read seems to indicate that you can only make individual elements editable, ie, a block of copy, or a placeholder image can be swapped out for another image. However, if we want to have the page have an unknown number of more complex elements, could that be achieved? For instance, a resources section, which contains an unknown number of resources, each containing a div, nesting an anchor, nesting a thumbnail image and name text. Could we create these to be editable, and for the client to be able to add new elements, assuming they can create the thumb image?

Suggestions greatly appreciated. I could provide the existing page in question if it'd help.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

That cannot be achieved easily at all. You might be able to create some JS code that would override the LP editor behavior, but good luck

You might want to read this and vote: and also look into the sub ideas.

This missing feature is one of the reason so many LP template editors have flourished in the Launchpoint.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

As Greg (M.) says, there isn't a built-in way to add N copies of an editable area on-demand.

We've worked this out in one of 2 ways:

• Pre-create placeholders for up to N elements/element groups and make sure the page fully responds to any element left unchosen. For example, there are 12 total slots; 1-12 of them can be used and the column layout responds accordingly. This requires cooperation between CSS and JS to make sure stuff that's left blank doesn't affect the layout (the CSS :empty selector comes in handy here). Of course if the page still works aesthetically with 16, 20, 24+ elements you'll reach a point of madness with this approach.
  • Only create one "template element" in the Marketo template.  (That is, a template within the template.)  Pair the template with, for example, a Google sheet from which the content is actually fetched. Clone the template for every set of data. Extremely scalable, takes some time to get used to as a designer but users (IME) think it's great.