SOLVED

Re: Edit Text Version without Affecting HTML

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit Text Version without Affecting HTML

Our creative team provides the full HTML version of an email. Is there a way to edit the text version without the same edits occurring to the HTML version? Currently any edits I make to the text version also update the HTML version. However I want to create simplified, cleaner looking text versions of an email.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Changes to TEXT never apply to the HTML version. Please send me an email if you are having issues, I think it's just a misunderstanding about how things work.

It's likely because when you "save" an element, it will add the "root block element" to the HTML side if one isn't present. So, your HTML is probably not handling it correctly. You can change the "root block element" to none in the Admin > Email > Editor Settings dialog. See this as well: https://docs.marketo.com/display/DOCS/Using+the+Rich+Text+Editor

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jordan,

You mean after having pasted some HTML code in the email?

Justin Cooperman​, this is for you

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg, that's correct. After using "Replace HTML" and pasting my HTML into the section. When I view the text version I'd like to able to make changes without those same changes applying to the HTML version.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Changes to TEXT never apply to the HTML version. Please send me an email if you are having issues, I think it's just a misunderstanding about how things work.

It's likely because when you "save" an element, it will add the "root block element" to the HTML side if one isn't present. So, your HTML is probably not handling it correctly. You can change the "root block element" to none in the Admin > Email > Editor Settings dialog. See this as well: https://docs.marketo.com/display/DOCS/Using+the+Rich+Text+Editor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rudimentary question here: how do I even access the text version to edit it?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Does the TEXT editor work for you in Firefox? It does not work for me (double-clicking the editor does not enable me to edit the text).

I had to work in Chrome in order to edit the TEXT version of the email.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

I just tried on an old version v44.0.2 and the latest v49.0.2 and it worked as expected in both cases. What you may be seeing is that if you have an empty text version of your email, you have to hover toward the top of the blank canvas to see the element to edit (see the pic below).

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 1.28.45 PM.png

Justin