Re: Edit Code of Email Reverted Back to Default Template?

nhabischWings
Level 5

Edit Code of Email Reverted Back to Default Template?

So, not so much a question as a curiosity/possible warning.

I had a built-out email, and I was editing the source code to be able to add a class="mktNoTrack" tag to a text link module since I've found that leaving the tracking enabled breaks phone links in Gmail. . .. anyway. I received a validator error, and I exited out to go back in and resolve.

I got a white screen with the Marketo logo in the upper right and then when it brought me back to my email it had reverted to the original template I used.

I "unapproved" the draft but re-editing still shows me the original template I started with and not my built-out email. Was a relatively simple email so not the end of the world - but thought I'd pass it along. Is it worth submitting a bug report to Marketo?

ADDITIONAL INFO: Now when I go to edit the email, the modules are not editable. They're there in the back-end code, but on the front-end it's like a static image. . .. guess I'll start over?

3 REPLIES 3
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@nhabischWings ,

I've had the same thing happen to me.  I've never worked out root cause, but it's incredibly annoying when it does happen.  Fingers crossed you don't get it often.

Cheers

Jo

Dave_Roberts
Level 10

I think this has to do with using the "Edit Code" feature in the email asset editor. Stay away from that thing, it doesn't do what everyone thinks it would do. When you use that Edit Code button in the email editor, it'll break the email's association with your template (which is why your modules don't show up) and kind of make it a "stand alone" asset of it's own. 

The better way to do this would be to make this update at a template level if you're not able to access the piece you'd like to by using the normal editor features (Rich Text box). Ideally, you'd be able to edit this within a mktoText section (Rich Text Editor) and it wouldn't be something hard-coded into the template, but not all email templates are created the same.

Disha_Goyal6
Level 4

Hi @nhabischWings , I faced this issue when there is an issue in HTML.

Please check your HTML in validator.