Easy question: removing a bunch of people from engagement streams

Kevin_Lustgarte
Level 3

Easy question: removing a bunch of people from engagement streams

This can't be too hard.

We have a nurture program. It's pretty basic.

Since January we've been adding people to the program through weekly list imports.

Now we need to remove a few thousand people who are no longer customers.

We have a field in our database called Eligibility Indicator. I was thinking to flip that field to N for everyone who's no longer a member (through an import). Then create a smart list of those people who are in the engagement program and who are no longer eligible.

Then I thought it would be easy to pause those people or remove them from the program completely forever.

What's the right way to do it?

5 REPLIES 5
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Easy question: removing a bunch of people from engagement streams

Hey Kevin, if you remove people from the program then you will lose reporting metrics from the program based on their interactions. A better option would be to create another stream without any content, and shift them all into that stream. You can also pause their cadence, as a belt & suspenders kind of protection.

The method you've described by creating a smart campaign to make this change is how you'd go about updating everyone.

Kevin_Lustgarte
Level 3

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it.

So a new stream in the same program. Makes sense. How do I shift them?

Sorry but we just haven't been doing much with engagement programs so my experience is minimal.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

pastedImage_0.png

You use this flow step once you've identified your users in a smart list.

Kevin_Lustgarte
Level 3

I created a program in my Nurture folder and called it disenrolled. And set up a smart list there.

Next I created a new stream in my engagement program - it's the 4th stream. Called it Disenrolled.

Clicked Transition Rules in that new stream and found where I can do what you specified above.

What's going to be trigger ... or should I not be doing this under Transition Rules?

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Kevin, if you want this to be a batch process you're probably better off doing it as a single smart campaign. If you want it to happen anytime this field is changed for a person, then you should set it up as a transition rule.

Transition rules work to pull people in, so you will want the rule in the stream for disenrolled. Using the transition rules you'd want a Data Value Changes trigger in the smart list.

If you're doing a single smart campaign that you will use to batch people in, then you want a smart list of [your criteria] and the flow step to change program stream that I mentioned before.

Hope this helps.