Re: Dynamic content based on URL parameter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic content based on URL parameter

Has anyone used a URL parameter to call dynamic content in a Marketo landing page?

example - http://www.abc.com?companyname=123

Content displayed = 123 logo

My use case is:

I want to send a link with a company name embedded in a url so I can customize the landing page with companies logo.

23 REPLIES 23
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Sure, in fact you can pass a segment identifier in the URL.

http://www.example.com?brand=123Co

will display the page as if the person were in the segment "123Co" of segmentation "brand."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have stated that we won't know the visitor. Our affiliate marketers will send these links to there channels and drive them to a landing page that we host in Marketo and customized for them with an embedded form. I would like to create 1 dynamic landing page rather then many static pages.

SanfordWhiteman

I don't see how not knowing the visitor matters, unless you are planning to pass the full URL to the affiliate's logo in the query string (thus your Marketo instance doesn't have to know anything about the affiliate).

Anyway, the segment trick is just a shortcut. Any other customization based on URL is basic HTML/CSS/JS stuff. It's as possible with Mkto LPs as with any other webpage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm following you now on the segment. I will build up a test and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jason,

I was just wondering if you ever got this to work? We want to do something similar and use a URL parameter to pull dynamic content on our landing pages. We have several different pages for companies we work with and instead of having to create unique pages for each company, we want to use vanity urls that direct to one dynamic landing page.

We would pass their company name in the URL and display their name on the page. For example, welcome XYZ company employee.

Any help or advice on this would be great! Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Carly,

We changed direction and the project got put on the back burner. But if you follow Sanford's posts above you should be able to trigger dynamic content by using the segmentation trick.

SanfordWhiteman

Two major ways to do this:

1. The segment mechanism I illustrated above.  Do this if the personalized content cannot be easily derived from the company name, or if you are not comfortable with JavaScript.
  2. JavaScript that parses the URL and replaces content that you have marked off in the HTML, i.e. <SPAN data-replace-query-param="company">{Company Name}}</SPAN>
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford. The JavaScript will definitely work for pages where we are just pulling in the company name.

Just one quick question about defining the segment rules. Since the lead will be unknown, we are thinking of passing the company name in the URL and using that field to assign them to the right segment. We created a segment that looks for "original referrer" contains XYZ company. Does this sounds like the best way to set this up? Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

Since the lead will be unknown, we are thinking of passing the company name in the URL and using that field to assign them to the right segment. We created a segment that looks for "original referrer" contains XYZ company. Does this sounds like the best way to set this up? Thanks!

The referrer is the page they came from. Original Source Info makes more sense, but this will only work if the company-tagged page is truly the first time they have ever visited your site in that browser.   I wouldn't do it either of these ways, but rather look for the specific URL of the LP contains XYZ.