SOLVED

Does an email template update require creating a new email asset vs. using a cloned asset?

Go to solution
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Does an email template update require creating a new email asset vs. using a cloned asset?

Hello,

For our weekly email sends, our team clones the previous email asset. So each "new" email is a clone of a clone of a clone.

I noticed that when I created a new module and added it to the template we use for testing code changes, it worked perfectly. The email asset I use to view any changes to our "testing template" is a single original email--not a clone of a clone.

After testing the changes in our "testing template," we make the update to our "master email templates".

However, after updating our master email template and pulling the new module into a clone of a clone of a clone (times 40 emails or so) that uses that master template, the module did not work as intended. A previous fix I had applied to the hero image to ensure it expanded the full width of a mobile device in the Outlook app did not work, and there was another weird issue where the number and headline text were aligning center instead of staying left-aligned as shown below:

Correct header text alignment:
header content aligned left.jpg

Incorrect header text alignment:

header content moved to right.jpg

My question is: When is it necessary to create a new email asset after making changes to an email template? If I make small changes to an existing module, is it necessary to create a new email asset or can we just pull in the updated module and everything should work as intended (given the code is correct, of course)? I understand when it comes to clones of clones of clones that code corruption can happen, but is that true for small changes as I mentioned, or just for bigger code changes like a newly created module?

Thanks so much,

LK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Does an email template update require creating a new email asset vs. using a cloned asset?

AFAIR, I haven't encountered an error while updating a cloned email post-email template update specifically (but I won't be too surprised if people encounter that at times). IMO and as far as I understand, cloning is just creating a new asset from scratch with the contents of an existing email taken over. Are you able to verify whether you see the same errors in an "un-cloned" email asset using the master template? You should also verify whether the template code of both email templates (test and master) is the same.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Darshil_Shah1

Re: Does an email template update require creating a new email asset vs. using a cloned asset?

AFAIR, I haven't encountered an error while updating a cloned email post-email template update specifically (but I won't be too surprised if people encounter that at times). IMO and as far as I understand, cloning is just creating a new asset from scratch with the contents of an existing email taken over. Are you able to verify whether you see the same errors in an "un-cloned" email asset using the master template? You should also verify whether the template code of both email templates (test and master) is the same.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Darshil,

Yes, I did verify using an un-cloned email asset for the master template that the errors did not appear. I will need to double check the code between the test and master templates, however. It should be the same, but there may be differences.

Thank you,

LK

Christiane_Rode
Level 6 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

If you cloned ... were you looking at the final approved email asset? Similar to when you make a change to a form on a Landing Page, you won't see the updated form until you approve both the form and the landing page. Perhaps that's the issue.

And, it is worth mentioning that, while I haven't experienced an issue when updating a template, on occasion, I do find it helpful to start from a fresh clone if I've made too many copies of copies. 

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Christiane,

Good question...It's occurring with both the draft and approved versions.

Yes, from what I have read before in the Community, clones of clones of clones can become corrupted and the email will not appear/behave as expected. So definitely good practice with major changes to start from scratch with a new email asset.

Darshil_Shah1

@Guitarrista82, did you manage to resolve the discrepancy with the email asset? I'd love to know what was the real cause behind this. Thank you!

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Darshil,

Yes, the only thing that seemed to work was to create a brand-new asset and pull the new module in...There was no way that we could use the clones of clones email assets. Everything looked good when testing the brand-new email asset.

And, interestingly, the email assets that I use to test changes to our email templates (I actually have a standalone email asset to test any and all changes and another email asset to test our master template once that gets updated) always work when code changes are implemented in their respective templates. I think this is because they are the original assets and have never been cloned.

Darshil_Shah1

Thanks for the update, @Guitarrista82! Appreciate it.

Strictly speaking, IMO it's not ideal that an email asset created from successive cloning should affect the integrity of the email asset in this manner, but I'm glad that you were able to figure this out at the end of the day.

DeniseGreenberg
Level 4

I agree with Guitarrista82. I have been told explicitly by Marketo Support that a clone of a clone of a clone can become corrupt. I would recommend cloning a Program Template each time - with the email that you want to use in the template. That way you'll only ever be cloning the email once.