Re: Do you send all inquiries to your CRM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you send all inquiries to your CRM?

My sales team wants to see all inquiries that are generated on a weekly basis - regardless of lead score. They say based on the current estimated volume that they will be able to follow our SLA and reach out to everyone.

I'd still like to keep an MQL/AQL score in mind for people to understand if my campaigns are working (am I targeting the right people), and measure velocity to know if I have enough campaigns going at any given time.

Is anyone else doing this? Do you set up flows in Marketo just to sync everyone as they are created?

Does it make sense that sales doesn't care about lead score but marketing does? What am I missing by doing it this way? What are the risks that I'm not thinking of?

My sales team is still volume focused (40+ outbound dials per day) and that isn't changing any time soon. So, I see their point. But also believe in what a scoring model can do. Help!

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that sending over all leads is a bad idea but it can lead to a better understanding of your leads.

You can test this out by sending over all leads for a while and monitoring what happens.  How many opps are created, revenue etc...

From this data you may find a group or two that should be sent over right away, you may see some other groups of leads that are less successful.  In the next iteration you may sync certain leads and not others based on this trial period.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree this is a bad idea, but as a partner for my sales team, I don't want to fight battles that aren't worth fighting, you know? Thanks for your insights.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It's ok to do this. Maybe not ideal from the standard model we are taught. I do recommend syncing all leads to the CRM, however, I usually hold non MQLs in a queue before they are ready.

As long as sales is happy to dial, this is ok. The question is really does the company want to do this and what kind of inquiries? Are these leads requesting contact or did they download paper? Big difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Josh. Appreciate the validation and yes, I agree - big difference between those requesting contact vs. just checking out our content. They'd like access to all.

When you say you hold non MQLs in a queue before they are ready, are you then using a workflow in CRM to "show" them to lead owners?

Thanks much.

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Heather, note that an SFDC queue will work fine if the records you send to it are SFDC Leads. If Marketo sends an already existing SFDC Contact to a queue, SFDC will create a new lead, hence a duplicate.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Heather,

That's a long a complex topic

You can start reading the posts on this thread : MQL set-up

Also, here a few ideas with regards to the change management process you need to undertake here:

1. You can start with publishing scoring information to the sales, including using Marketo Sales Insight starts and flames. You can add them to lead views and lead forms. Sales will very quickly learn to prioritize leads using these visual indicators. After some time, you will be in a better position to engage a discussion about hiding leads with no start/no flame (low score leads).
  2. A second discussion you can raise is the fact that there is a difference between seeing all leads (which they have to be able to do) and setting priorities on leads that should be called which is what score is for.
  3. Another path you can take it measure the real capability of sales to handle all the leads in the database. It the number of leads is really higher, then having a way to set priorities soon becomes obvious even to the most stubborn sales.
  4. The 4th way to look at this is to measure the lead acceptance vs score. If scoring is appropriate*, then the correlation should be high, thus setting a clear argument in favor of not wasting time with low score leads.

Once things start to get clearer on everyone's mind, yes, as stated by Josh, you should continue to send all leads to the CRM, but you can "host" some of them in lead queues, until they have enough score to be sent to sales.

-Greg

* with the right behavior score in place and a good mix between demographic/firmographic and behavior

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, Gregoire! I know it's a complex topic, but my boss is very good at distilling things down to a "headline," so wanted to try to pose a basic question in a very complex world.

I do appreciate the thorough response and link to the other discussion. Big help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

We sync practically everything to SFDC. I have a threshold for what leads are assigned to SDRs and another threshold for MQLs that determine SLAs. If the SDRs are really strapped for leads they have the ability to follow up/prospect into the leads that have no met the threshold, but there is no SLA attached until they take ownership. This is working well our North American team, however our EMEA and APJ team don't have an SDR function so I have a higher threshold for assignment to AEs. I even have separate SLAs for AEs as they just don't seem motivated to call a lead within 30-minutes...

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

I tend to favor syncing all leads to SFDC (and it also helps preventing duplicates). When I sync pre-MQL records to SFDC I try to assign to a non-sales user that owns them until they MQL.  Do you have a full lead lifecycle (with model) set up?