Re: Do communication limits always work with engagement programs?

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Do communication limits always work with engagement programs?

Yesterday we had two engagement programs with casts at 12:45, and due to an oversight there were some people who were in both of the engagement programs, and they received both emails. My concern is that our communication limits are set to only one email per day. The answer to this is probably yes, but did both emails go out because the casts are at the same time? Or was this something that should have been prevented by the communication limits? Thanks!

0EM50000000S8MQ.jpg
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Kim_Allen
Level 10

I would've thought this should've been prevented with the limits. Def interested in hearing your responses!
Anonymous
Not applicable

We encountered the same thing today with two nurturing campaigns.  Same person received both emails simultaneously despite a 1 email per day communication limit.  Logged a support case for this because this will definitely be a possible occurrence in our environment.

KellyJoHorton
Level 3 - Champion Alumni

It takes nine minutes (give or take) for Marketo to process the fact that someone received an email, so if your programs all send out emails at the same time people can receive multiple emails within a span of 10 minutes. You aren't giving the database enough time to update the status. This is easily fixed by varying your send times.

I always vary my send times by at least 15 minutes across programs.

Kelly Jo Horton
Senior Client Partner
Etumos

khorton@etumos.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo support confirmed that it can take up to 15 minutes for a email to be added to the database so the current workaround is to ensure that scheduled casts are 30 minutes apart at a minimum to be safe.

Support also confirmed that there are plans to upgrade this to reduce the lag in logging the emails, but there was no time frame on that improvement.