SOLVED

Re: Diving into velocity scripts - where to start?

Go to solution
Courtny_Edwards
Level 3 - Champion

Diving into velocity scripts - where to start?

Calling all velocity script aficionados 

I've set aside some time over the holidays to deep dive into velocity scripting. I've found this great champions blog from @Chris_Wilcox & the Velocity User Guide. Are there any other resources anyone recommends for upskilling? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Hi Courtney!  

Awesome idea, always smart to get a jump on new skills during some (typically) quieter weeks at the end of the year!  Another huge resource that I usually find myself on whenever I'm facing a velocity issue is @SanfordWhiteman's Blog: TEKNKL Blog (Velocity Tagged Content) 

For me, one of the biggest resources was this community. It can be very task-specific (i.e. I want to do X with velocity, how do I do it?), but once you get the basics down of how it works, how to build and test a script, for me it's all about practice. I'm sure there are personalization items you run today using segmentations, snippets, or dynamic content, try to replicate the logic in velocity and use the Community as a place to come if you're hitting road blocks! 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I've written a large number of posts on the Products blog, and some not yet cross-posted from https://blog.teknkl.com/tag/velocity.

Safe to say these are the authoritative resources for Marketo-flavored Velocity (which is somewhat different from VTL at large, specifically because of quirks with links).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Hi Courtney!  

Awesome idea, always smart to get a jump on new skills during some (typically) quieter weeks at the end of the year!  Another huge resource that I usually find myself on whenever I'm facing a velocity issue is @SanfordWhiteman's Blog: TEKNKL Blog (Velocity Tagged Content) 

For me, one of the biggest resources was this community. It can be very task-specific (i.e. I want to do X with velocity, how do I do it?), but once you get the basics down of how it works, how to build and test a script, for me it's all about practice. I'm sure there are personalization items you run today using segmentations, snippets, or dynamic content, try to replicate the logic in velocity and use the Community as a place to come if you're hitting road blocks! 

Good luck!

rdeacon-r2i
Level 2

Chris is right on the money.  Velocity scripting for Marketo is a bit odd.  Its best to learn the basic syntax and test test test.  If you are running into an issue.. just post again and someone can jump in to help you out.  

Good Luck!!

Rich
Courtny_Edwards
Level 3 - Champion

Thank you @Chris_Wilcox - I've bookmarked the blog, will be reading it all over the holidays ... and am going to take it step by step (and test by test by test by test) and will come back if (when!) anything specific pops up.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I've written a large number of posts on the Products blog, and some not yet cross-posted from https://blog.teknkl.com/tag/velocity.

Safe to say these are the authoritative resources for Marketo-flavored Velocity (which is somewhat different from VTL at large, specifically because of quirks with links).
Courtny_Edwards
Level 3 - Champion

Thanks so much @SanfordWhiteman - this is quite a collection, excited to dive in! Blog is bookmarked for all my holiday reading free time 🎄