SOLVED

Re: Deliverability: Sending emails from a personal email - when it's a newly created email

Go to solution
janerusnak
Level 2

Deliverability: Sending emails from a personal email - when it's a newly created email

Hi dear supportive community, 

I wanted to get your confirmation on sending emails in a marketo email program from a personal email (rep email) , when the rep has just started with our company and his email was just created. Do you think this can in any way impact the deliverability?

The goal is to send MES program to an audience of 5000 people from name.lastname@example.com  (DKIM and SPF are set up for our domain). My only concern is that the email we want to use in this program belongs to a rep who has just started and hasn't had any activity yet. Do you think this can have an impact on the deliverability of the emails?

Thank you!

Looking to spend wisely at your company? Check out procurify.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Deliverability: Sending emails from a personal email - when it's a newly created email

Don't worry about general reputation at the local-part level. (The local-part of an email address is the left-hand-side, i.e. first.last in the address first.last@example.com).

Reputation is ultimately based on the shortest private domain, not the local-part or even subdomains. That is, in first.last@mktg.example.com  it's example.com that needs to be clean/warmed/trustworthy.

Also, unless you have branded envelope sender set up in your instance, the true SMTP sender of your Marketo emails is <unique_verp_part>@<something>.mktomail.com, not first.last@example.com. (The sender that appears in the From: header and the SMTP sender can be completely different). So when your reputation is based on the SMTP domain, example.com isn't even considered, let alone its local-parts.

However! The above doesn't account for individual recipient allow lists/whitelists, or something specifically tweaked by a recipient's mail admin. If someone has previously added the From: address sandy@example.com to a local list, then jane@example.com won't be covered.

In any case, this is really the nature of the beast. Reps change and people move on. If there's a ding here and there, there's no solution unless you never send from real addresses, only marketing-controlled addresses.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

Don't worry about general reputation at the local-part level. (The local-part of an email address is the left-hand-side, i.e. first.last in the address first.last@example.com).

Reputation is ultimately based on the shortest private domain, not the local-part or even subdomains. That is, in first.last@mktg.example.com  it's example.com that needs to be clean/warmed/trustworthy.

Also, unless you have branded envelope sender set up in your instance, the true SMTP sender of your Marketo emails is <unique_verp_part>@<something>.mktomail.com, not first.last@example.com. (The sender that appears in the From: header and the SMTP sender can be completely different). So when your reputation is based on the SMTP domain, example.com isn't even considered, let alone its local-parts.

However! The above doesn't account for individual recipient allow lists/whitelists, or something specifically tweaked by a recipient's mail admin. If someone has previously added the From: address sandy@example.com to a local list, then jane@example.com won't be covered.

In any case, this is really the nature of the beast. Reps change and people move on. If there's a ding here and there, there's no solution unless you never send from real addresses, only marketing-controlled addresses.

janerusnak
Level 2

Thank you Sanford!

I believe we don't have a true SMTP set up, so I'll go ahead with sending email campaign from new reps. However, if I were to check if we have the true SMTP set up would I check our DNS records for this? 

Looking to spend wisely at your company? Check out procurify.com
SanfordWhiteman

I believe we don't have a true SMTP set up, so I'll go ahead with sending email campaign from new reps. However, if I were to check if we have the true SMTP set up would I check our DNS records for this? 

The easiest way is to send me an email (make sure it's a real email, not sample) and I can look at the envelope & headers.

nzegarra98
Level 1

Sanford, 

I have seen a couple of threads that have been 90% of the way to the info I am looking for, but I was wondering how we would go about changing our SMTP domain in Marketo? Our domain was updated, and we have redirected the prior one. So now we will occasionally get rejected when sending emails out through Marketo, even to our own inboxes. Is this something Admins have the power to manipulate, or do we need to get support involved?

All the best, 

Nando

SanfordWhiteman

There’s no such thing as an SMTP redirect (with equivalent functionality to an HTTP redirect).

But I want to be very clear about what you mean by “SMTP domain”: do you mean your branded envelope sender domain (if and only if you have one)?

To change your envelope sender domain, you must get support involved.

nzegarra98
Level 1

So when I am in Outlook, I click view email details, and I see this among other lines:

Authentication-Results-Original: brand.com;	spf=pass
 smtp.mailfrom=###-AAA-###.#.#####.0.0.#####.2.########-##@e-industrial.brand.com;

We need to remove the "e-industrial" fro our domain, as that is old, its just our "brand.com" 

From what I beleieve we do need to get support involved, but I wanted to do once last follow up here too.

SanfordWhiteman

If you have a custom envelope sender domain like that, you cannot remove the subdomain part. It must be a subdomain of your domain for clear technical reasons. You can change the specific subdomain, but you must use a subdomain.