Re: Deleting Invalid Leads

Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Hi Kimmah Shah​,

I faced a similar issue and here is how I solved it. If you do not want to delete the leads from your CRM system, to prevent them from syncing back into Marketo you can follow these steps:

1) Create a Boolean (true/false) field in your CRM called "Hide from Marketo" or similar and make it visible to the Marketo sync user so that it automatically gets created in Marketo too

2) Open a Marketo support case and have them set up a Custom Sync Filter on this field you created

3) Create a smart campaign with the smart list being the leads you want to delete and the flow should look something like this:

pastedImage_0.png

This approach has worked great for me!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Nina! I've shared this suggestion with our CRM team to set up. Many thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nina Valtcheva​,

I am trying to figure out the optimal way to maintain my database for our licensing renewal.

What is the general best practice for removing leads. If you find leads in marketo that are in-active for a long period, do you advise deleting them from both salesforce and marketo?  Since they are not responding to the engagement programs , I would prefer deleting them on marketo and salesforce.  What impact does deleting them in salesforce cause?

2. I am assuming "leads in marketo" are mapped as "leads in salesforce". So if the sales team wants to keep a contact they would categorize them as contact which will not get deleted in "delete lead from crm " in marketo.

Any advise would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Hi Anita,

I only delete leads from Marketo, never from SFDC. This is because our sales team doesn't ever want to delete anything from SFDC but we need to maintain our licensed database size with Marketo. So, "Delete from CRM" is always set to "False" when I delete and we have a custom sync filter to keep records out of Marketo once they have been deleted (see my earlier comment on this thread on how to enable this). I have deleted email invalid, inactive (no activity in past year), blacklisted, leads from countries where we don't market to currently, students, junk data, etc..

For your second question, I believe Contacts will still get deleted from Marketo if you set "Delete from CRM" to "True" but again, I have never set it to "True" myself. Hope that helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nina,

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate that.

Bruce_Jeffers
Level 4

Erica,
Yes we do actually delete / remove these junk leads from our Marketo and SFDC.  Not every company should do this, but it's our preference.  Our sales cycle is fairly long and requires a significant investment from customers -- so we basically just choose not to waste time or database space with leads that do not provide valid information.

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bruce,

I am trying to figure out the optimal way to maintain my database for our licensing renewal.

1. What is the general best practice for removing leads. If you find leads in marketo that are in-active for a long period, do you advise deleting them from both salesforce and marketo?  Since they are not responding to the engagement programs , I would prefer deleting them on marketo and salesforce.  What impact does deleting them in salesforce cause?

2. I am assuming "leads in marketo" are mapped as "leads in salesforce". So if the sales team wants to keep a contact they would categorize them as contact which will not get deleted in "delete lead from crm " in marketo.

Any advise would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce_Jeffers
Level 4

Hi Anita,

For question #1, I would check with the Admins of your Salesforce instance. There is no right/wrong answer. If the Salesforce Admins prefer to keep these records in SFDC (for reporting, historical info, etc) then you would not want to delete them there; only delete in Marketo. If they do not have any need to keep the data, then you would most likely be safe in deleting from both systems. Note that once you delete from both systems though, that data is gone, so I'd recommend exporting an Excel file of any records that you purge from both.

For question #2 -- Marketo actually considers all records as "Leads" in most actions....or in other words, both Salesforce Contacts and Salesforce Leads are considered as "Leads" in Marketo Flows. So this Delete Lead step will actually delete both Contacts or Leads in SFDC.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Katie_Bullinge2
Level 2

Hey Bruce Jeffers

We have a similar situation with additional complexity -- hoping you can help me out.

We've setup a custom sync rule with Marketo Support to halt a sync to SFDC if the "Hide from Marketo" field is checked. It's been working great for us, but now we want to take it a step further.

We'd like to set up our system where if a lead comes through that was previously deleted from Marketo but still exists in SFDC, it will be re-created as a lead in Marketo and synced to SFDC. We would then like to create a flow in SFDC that would change the "Hide from Marketo" field to 'false' in SFDC.

We've tried to test this today, but we can't get the lead to show up in Marketo again after we deleted it this morning.

So, I guess my question is...if a lead is deleted in Marketo in the past, is it possible for a lead to be re-created with the same email address if they submit a web form?

Thanks!

Katie

Bruce_Jeffers
Level 4

Hi Katie,

Will try to answer your questions and provide some helpful info.

1. In my experience, yes a previously-deleted lead can be re-created in Marketo with the same email address, by any lead-creation means (web form, list import, manual creation). However, any previous history with that previous record will not be there anymore. When a lead is deleted in Marketo, all its history is deleted as well.  (The only exception to this is their Unsubscribe status -- if that email address was unsubscribed, it will remain unsubscribed if re-created).

2. The reason your existing lead --still in SFDC but not in Marketo -- might not be syncing back to Marketo is that the SFDC record hasn't been updated. Try changing and saving data field on the Lead in SFDC, and it will probably sync back into Marketo then.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your questions.

-Bruce