Re: Delays When Using Segment based Snippets on Thank You Pages

Nav_Singh1
Level 2

Delays When Using Segment based Snippets on Thank You Pages

Hey,

I was working with Marketo support on an interesting example where our snippets were not loading correctly on form submission until after refreshing the page. I was wondering if anyone else ran into this (tested this against existing leads in the db where they were part of a segment already) The follow-up funcitonality after submit never seemed to get it right.  Suport came back and recommended adding a delay to the form with custom dev work but I wanted to see if anyone else had a simpler solution to the problem.

The use case is if a member of segment = true (looking at email addresses and names) then show Snippet that says "Yay! You're in" on the follow-up page after the form,

if else then show snippet version that says "You're pending while we look you up"

Would appreciate any insights others can share here.

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10
Nav_Singh1
Level 2

This is what I had heard back from Marketo support -

"Unfortunately my Subject Matter Expert has informed me that this is expected Behavior of the follow uppage because it is loaded on the form submission quicker that the data is written in order to load the content to the snippet. A way to work around this limitation would involve custom development that delays the loading of the Follow Up page in order for the activities to write.

You can also try advanced thank you page feature that will display the page of your choice to the segment of your choice. Please check out this doc:

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Set+a+Form+Thank+You+Page

This would mean you are not using the dynamic content with in the landing page but would need to build out two separate pages."

Now I can see the latter working but in a much more narrow fashion (e.g. snippet can look at permutations slightly more dynamically than a set field.) This would mean anyone, where "TempField" is not set to "1", will be seeing the v2 of the Follow Up page. Less ideal but I think it can work.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The use case is if a member of segment = true (looking at email addresses and names)

How complex is this matching logic, if it only uses these 2 variables, that it can't be checked (i.e. pre-checked) in the form's onSuccess to determine the right follow-up page?

Nav_Singh1
Level 2

Not sure I follow. The segment is custom to this page it's to validate who's on an approved list. I could also just do that by setting a value on the known leads and that might be the simplest method. The one thing I wouldn't be able to account for if I do it this way is for new leads created by different email addresses being used to register. I notice this comes up a lot for us so I thought segments might be a more dynamic workaround.

Really only looking at First & Last Name combinations or Email address combinations for the segment.

Does that help?

SanfordWhiteman

I notice this comes up a lot for us so I thought segments might be a more dynamic workaround.

Segments are fine, they're just not designed to be reflected back to the end user immediately.

Nav_Singh1
Level 2

The challenge was I was seeing it fail for users who are already in that

segment and exist in the db. (E.g. if Nav registers with the same email

address that's already in the database and part of a segment the follow-up

url I would expect the snippet there to reflect that.) What I was finding

is that it doesn't show up correctly unless the page is refreshed. Was not

sure if adding a timeout / wait to the on.Success would be a fix?

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:56 AM, Sanford Whiteman <

SanfordWhiteman

It's not about segmentation, it's about associating the current Munchkin cookie with the existing lead. (The same applies without any segmentations.)

There's no single timeout that is guaranteed to be long enough. You can poll a hidden results page as described here: Validate email address live on the landing page

Nav_Singh1
Level 2

Thanks, Sanford. I'm not sure if that's the best fit but I'll try testing

that out this evening. I think the challenge with that solution is that

it's probably more work for what I think would be the same result as just

tagging known leads with a boolean value to determine which follow-up page

to show. I don't think I could dynamically capture permutations since we

can't query to smart lists.

I've been concentrating efforts on the form submission leading to the TY

page not on the TY page content/ snippet; sounds like I should flip my

focus and possibly move away from the snippet.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Sanford Whiteman <

SanfordWhiteman

it's probably more work for what I think would be the same result as just

tagging known leads with a boolean value to determine which follow-up page

to show.

If existing leads in your database have a boolean value, you have to poll until the session is associated in order to read that value. There's no other way to use it.

Nav_Singh1
Level 2

Is this the best way to customize the follow-up page for a person filling out the form who has a known email address?  e.g. If email address is x@y.comy@z.com  then I would want them to be getting a follow-up page message that said "Hey, your registration is confirmed", if it were anything else I would want them to get an error page (this is why I tried to use snippets initially).